Addittional NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR files on drive D

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addittional NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR files on drive D

This morning I looked on the server for backups and on one of the backup drives (D drive) i found a copy of these files

d:\
    boot.ini
    AUTOEXEC.BAT
    CONFIG.SYS
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    NTDETECT.COM
    ntldr

They have the same dates apart from boot.ini, the original is from 14/10/2006, the copy 11/10/2006. The only changes which have been made to the server recently was installing Critical Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility (KB 926505)

D drive is used just for backing up. I use Acronis True Image. This night one of its service crushed and the backup wasn't made.

Can I get rid of these files?

I use SBS 2003 Standard, Exchange 2003

thanks
    Chris

Re: Addittional NTDETECT.COM and NTLDR files on drive D

You only need those files on your boot partition, so yes you could delete them if they are duplicates.

I would make sure your entire system is backed up each night though. You could also consider putting a copy of boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com onto a floppy disk just in case you ever have trouble booting your system.

Comment

Before you "just delete them" I would actually make certain which of your partitions is actually your system partition... if you delete the files from the wrong one it will render your system unbootable.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by itgeezer View Post
        You only need those files on your boot partition,
        This is incorrect. The boot partition contains the WINDOWS folder, these files (NTDETECT.COM etc) are only required on the SYSTEM partition. Microsoft standard terminology is the wrong way round and always has been.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Wasn't that change in Server 2003?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Wasn't that change in Server 2003?
            Dunno actually; I had just assumed it was a continuing piece of Microsoft idiocy, having heard nothing about it changing... I'll dig around, see if I can find anything definitive.

Tom

Comment

I left the files untouched. Didn't have time to look into this deeper. I had to reboot the server today and the additional files didn't affect the start up process. So it sounds like Windows only checks boot files on active partition while starting up as far as I understand.

Thanks!

Comment

You can check the boot.ini file on the main drive to see which partition it uses for the OS - it just takes a while to understand the partition layout nomenclature. It is specified in a KB article that I can't quite find just now. Just remember that the first partition is labelled (0) - like all good computing variables.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  You can check the boot.ini file on the main drive to see which partition it uses for the OS - it just takes a while to understand the partition layout nomenclature. It is specified in a KB article that I can't quite find just now. Just remember that the first partition is labelled (0) - like all good computing variables.
                  Yeah - but the first Disk is 1. Sigh. Good old Microsoft consistency. Don't forget though; you'd have to be looking at the BOOT.INI on the drive which boots; if the one on the C: drive is different to the one on the D: drive, you STILL don't know which is correct. The only way to know is to use a partitioning tool to find out the "Active" partition. (In Windows XP/2003, DISKPART is your man).

Tom

Comment

A bit of hair splitting, sorry. The first Disk is 0 (zero). The first Partition is 1 (one)

A screenshot of Disk Management might be some help along with the Boot.ini.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X