Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a SBS 2003 SSL Certificate

Hello everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to make a SSL Certificate on a SBS 2003 R2 Premium Edt Server?
    We want to use it in conjunction with our Windows Mobile 5.0 based PDA's and phones. The certificate which is made during the wizard Internet Connection CEIW didn't do the trick because the connecting PDA gets an error message that the common name in the certificate isn't the same of the connected server etc. etc..
    Now I am totally new about SSL certificates so can anyone help me to create a SSL certificate which can be used with the pda's?

Thanks,

Victor

Re: How to make a SBS 2003 SSL Certificate

UTFW

The Connect to Internet Wizard has a section for creating a self-signed certificate which works with many Mobile 5.0 PDA's. In fact it created 2 certificates - one as publishing.<ad-domain> and one as your FQDN. On your SBS use IE to save these 2 certs to the directory you synch with your PDA. Double clicking on the .cer file once it is on the PDA installs it for use with synch.
    If that fails, or if your PDA doesn't support self-signed certs, either buy a cheap one from Go-daddy etc or install CA in the regular way. (Search this site for installing CA)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hello Teiger,

Thanks for the quick reply, but which .cer file do I use with the Mobile 5.0 device (iPAQ HW6915) the FQDN or the ad-domain?

And what do you mean with 'On your SBS use IE to save these 2 certs' ?

Thanks,

Victor

p.s. Can I run the CEIW remotely using RDP? or must I be at the console?

Comment

You install both certificates
        And yes you can use CEICW remotely as long as you don't change it to disallow remote connections - of course;>)

You can use IE to export the certs or look under clientapps to see if they are already there
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks Teiger,

Everything works like charm.... only the CEICW did make only one SBSCert.cer file which I have exported via MMC Snap-in Certificates into a DER Encoded Binary X.509 (.CER).
          This certificate did install (by double clicking on it) into my HP iPAQ PDA and did the trick.

Many thanks for your help...

Greetings,

Victor

Comment

Working...
          X