No announcement yet.

remote access limit ips

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote access limit ips

I have a Windows SBS 2003 domain controller, how do I restrict remote access on it to certain ip addresses?

Thanks in advance.

Re: remote access limit ips

What kind of remote access are you trying to limit? If it's file sharing etc you're trying to limit then you'll need to put it behind a firewall - if there's one built into SBS you could use that one but it might take a bit of trial-and-error to get it right. If it's remote desktop you're trying to limit it's much much simpler - you would still do it via the firewall though.

To limit Remote Desktop access, have a "Deny" rule on port 3389, all addresses. Above that, have a "Permit" rule for each IP address you want to allow, for port 3389.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: remote access limit ips

Ditto for pptp VPNs. You have your group of IPs that are allowed on port 1723 in the firewall followed by a deny rule after it. UTFW then amend approriately afterwards.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.