Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change the av

hi

i have symantec on an sbs2000 invironment.
    i keep on reading people saying its no good.
    and pointiong to trend micro, nod.

i installed trend on a lab simulate the sbs and the antivirus server.
    yet didnt find a good reason to change.

it could be that i am not use to this program
    yet trend is less flexibale to me.

yes it found spaywares.
    what can those do?

my users are only domain users.
    i have a firewall and vpn connection.

is there is a reason to ....??

thanks
    zavik

Re: change the av

Have a read down the following link and take special note of the infections Symantec finds compared to Trend. Very interesting thread. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12783
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Zavik

Think of the workstation which surfs to a non-reputable web site and downloads an Active-X which contains a Trojan virus
      Think of the home user who has no AV or the original Norton 3-month Trial which ran out last year and he has god-knows-whaton his computer. He now connects via VPN and is INSIDE YOUR LAN.
      You only have a firewall and VPN - do you want to ask your question again?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I recommend NOD and my company is moving our clients away from Symantec. Main reasons? Price and support. NOD is much cheaper and I can call the engineers directly. Symantec support and licencing is a nightmare I never want to live through again....

Also NOD searches for Spyware, is rated very highly on performance and efficiency. Also pretty easy to setup if you read the manual that comes with.

I also like and use Trend, just find NOD to be cheaper.

Comment

To all posters in this thread.
          Please !

No AV religious wars here. We all have our favourites for whatever reason. IMNSHO the only thing worse than no AV is a badly configured AV! So use which ever works for you, and you feel comfortable with.
          There is already a thread in the forums about which AV etc. If it starts to repeat here, I will be forced to close this thread down. SO, once again, please, keep it to discussing details and not slanderring one product over another.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

hi all

thanks for the replys
            i install the trend on a lab and its seems to be more powerfull

some wondering
            i intead to get the csm version

i saw that in global settings there is a
            exclude microsoft exchange server folders
            when this is checked, those it mean that no way
            a scan can scan exchange folders.
            even if those are not on the defalut location.
            have somebody issue with those settings?

and way is there is a need to exclude ms domain controllers folders?
            is this the ntds.dit file?

thanks again
            zavik

Comment

ALL AV's should avoid scanning the Exchange files as FILES. Get and Exchange aware AV like Trend CSM (the 'M' stands for Messaging!) As a file it, could see a group of characters in the Exchange database as a potential threat/virus and then quarantine/delete your Exchange database. Whooops - no Exchange!
              Whereas an 'M' aware AV scans the CONTENTS of the database and acts according to the correct rules you have defined.
              YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - Exclude Exchange databases from file scans!
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Symantec is bloatware with not very good detection rates. Unfortunately most of my customers have it on their servers, and my company seem reluctant to find something better despite my recommendations.

My AV of choice would be NOD. Detection rates are briiliant, if a virus tries to get onto your system, it simply doesn't get on. Unlike Symantec which lets it onto the system first and then moves it into the quarantine.

Also with NOD, if you need support, you'll get straight through to a techie who knows his product and whom you can understand. None of this nonsense "press 1 for support" via a call centre in India.

It's also faster than Symantec. It's also cheaper.

So why does one still purchase Symantec?

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  To all posters in this thread.
                  Please !

No AV religious wars here. We all have our favourites for whatever reason.
                  itgeezer, you obviously didn't read the warning. Want to edit your post BEFORE Steven sees it?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X