Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming Profile query

Hello,

I have been asked to implement Roaming Profiles in our organisation and have a few of queries which I can't find the answers to.

Firstly, we have a number of users who, when away from the office access their accounts by 'dialing in'. If when at work one of these users saves for example a large .wav or .mpeg (or similar) to their PC this would presumably be saved in their profile / redirected folder (depending on how it is set up) when the log out - I suspect that this could take some time. When they dial in it would again take a long time (from what I read) to download the profile. Other than warning staff that they shouldn't do so is there any way of preventing this from happening?

Secondly, I have read that roaming profiles are likely to corrupt, has anyone got advice on how to reduce the likelyhood of corruption and the effect there of?

Thirdly, should we allow Cashed Exchange mode? - It has proved very useful to us but how would this affect the users roaming profile?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me on these queries

Alison

Re: Roaming Profile query

SBS has better than roaming profiles - it has My Document redirection, meaning that the "My Documents" folder is stored on the server where it is (presumably) backed up - not so on the workstations. An offline copy is then stored on the desktop/mobile which synchronises on connection. That way, a copy of the wav/mpeg file is only transmitted over the wire when it is changed in either of the locations and you control when and how it is synchronised. UTFW to set it up.
    You can do the same for Desktop and Favourites folders but there is no wizard for that - you have to do it manually.
    Remaining items in roaming profiles can slow you down substantially, but you have to do the "cost/benefit analysis"
    Cached mode ( as opposed to cashed mode;>) for Exchange is also worthwhile. It means a sort of local backup for all mail should anything happen to the server, and whilst no new mail can be sent or received if the server goes off-line, at least work can be done with existing mail.
    The price of the above is naturally disk space, since cached exchange mode means an .ost file the size of the mailbox and offline files means My documents using up space on the server as well as the rest of the Roaming profiles.
    You pays your money, etc., etc.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Here is how to redirect My Documents folder via a Group Policy

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/..._redirect.html

* Note: There are many different options and the above only shows one. You will see what i mean when you look at your group policy. And if you want more information on a particular config, google is your friend!

Comment

Hi,

Well, Let me tell you about the Roaming Profile.
        The first time when a user logs in the profile in made on the Server (shared foler)
        .The second time when user tried to login the Profile will be download to the Local machine. Now if i say this point of time i have same items on the Profile which is on the server and on the local system. "would not be wrong".

Now if try to save a file on the Desktop. that file is saved on the Server first. Now i l logoff and login again. As we have 1 item more on the Server profile so it will download that extra item to the local profile.So. this way it saves the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulsen View Post
          Here is how to redirect My Documents folder via a Group Policy
          And here is how to do it in SBS:
          Start the Redirect My Documents folder wizard
          Choose Redirect My Documents to the Users Folder on the server
          Select OK

Done. UTFW wins again :>)
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            And here is how to do it in SBS:
            Start the Redirect My Documents folder wizard
            Choose Redirect My Documents to the Users Folder on the server
            Select OK

Done. UTFW wins again :>)
            Oh, i completely forgot about that! Late Night!

Comment

Working...
            X