Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot contact the DNS server

Hi Guys,

Did a quick search here and on google and I could not find anything that matched my problem. Hope that you guys can help!

Basically what happens is that I can't connect to our DNS server in the Admin Console.

The specified DNS server cannot be contacted. Some possible reasons include: not running, network problems, not found.
    The server DOES resolve DNS! It is working ... I just can't connect to it, nor create/edit any lookup zones ....

C:\Documents and Settings\helpdesk>nslookup
    Default Server: wpad.rouwkoop.local
    Address: 10.0.0.1

> www.petri.com
    Server: wpad.rouwkoop.local
    Address: 10.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: petri.co.il
    Address: 72.52.147.187
    Aliases: www.petri.com
    We only have 1 server. Running Windows 2003 SBS. Running Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, IIS, Exchange, etc ...

I can open EVERYTHING else in the admin console, including the Active Directory Users and Computers, DHCP, etc ...

I checked around here a little, and made some notes that might help???
    If there is anything else that you need to help me here, please let me know!!!

Thanks!!!

C:\Documents and Settings\helpdesk>netdom query /domain:ROUWKOOP fsmo

Schema owner ROUWKOOP-SERVER.rouwkoop.local

Domain role owner ROUWKOOP-SERVER.rouwkoop.local

PDC role ROUWKOOP-SERVER.rouwkoop.local

RID pool manager ROUWKOOP-SERVER.rouwkoop.local

Infrastructure owner ROUWKOOP-SERVER.rouwkoop.local

The command completed successfully.
    C:\Documents and Settings\helpdesk>Ntdsutil

Ntdsutil: roles

fsmo maintenance: connections

server connections: connect to server rouwkoop-server.rouwkoop.local
    Binding to rouwkoop-server.rouwkoop.local ...
    Connected to rouwkoop-server.rouwkoop.local using credentials of locally logged
    on user.

server connections: q

fsmo maintenance: Select operation target

select operation target: List roles for connected server

Server "rouwkoop-server.rouwkoop.local" knows about 5 roles

Schema - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ROUWKOOP-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=rouwkoop,DC=loca l
    Domain - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ROUWKOOP-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=rouwkoop,DC=loca l
    PDC - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ROUWKOOP-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=rouwkoop,DC=loca l
    RID - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ROUWKOOP-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=rouwkoop,DC=loca l
    Infrastructure - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=ROUWKOOP-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=rouwkoop,DC=loca l

Re: Cannot contact the DNS server

Excellant first post - Your already in the good books

I take it your getting the error message when attempting to open the DNS console from admin tools or via a custom MMC snapin - correct?

I know it obvious but have you tried restarting the dns server service or even restarting the SBS box?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Thanks! I tried to find as much as I could before posting.

To answer your questions:

Correct, it is when I try to open the DNS server in the MMC snapin!

Yes, I have restarted the service a couple of times now, as well as the server (twice already)!

Andrew

P.S. Thanks for your speedy reply!

Comment

anything in the eventviewer?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hey,

Nothing substantial at all in the DNS Server log in the Event Logger. There a few things in the Application log, but nothing to do with DNS or similar! (MSTransportExchange issues... email forwarding bouncing back)

Comment

Can you install the adminpak.msi (available from c:\windows\system32\adminpak.msi ) onto a different machine on the network and attempt to connect to the DNS server as an admin from a different workstation?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hey,

I found that file in the \c$\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory and am installing it now on my PC on the network and I am a domain admin, so permissions should be fine!

EDIT: No I can't connect ... It complains that the server is not available, but adds it anyway. Then it gives the same report about not being able to connect ...

Running out to a client quickly... I will be back here tomorrow morning!!!

Thanks for your help so far guys! I will buy you a beer if this gets sorted out!

Andrew
              Last edited by HouseVincent; 6th June 2007, 12:18.

Comment

Moved to SBS Forum.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Do you have ISA on the box here? It looks from your first post that wpad has taken over your connection. I seem to remember something about wpad taking over other connections in SBS if not set up the correct way. Search wpad and Jim Harrison (ISA expert) on to see if he has a script for that.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I seem to remember something about wpad taking over other connections in SBS if not set up the correct way.
                    Yes, this is indeed the case. I can't remember the reason for it, but it has been this way for about a year now.

The problem only cropped up last week!

Comment

Did you ???

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...wpad+DNS&meta=
                      TIA

sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseVincent View Post
                        Basically what happens is that I can't connect to our DNS server in the Admin Console.

The server DOES resolve DNS! It is working ... I just can't connect to it, nor create/edit any lookup zones ....
                        What does that last post have to do with my problem?

It is not a wpad problem at all ... it is that I can't access the DNS server in the admin console.

(Wpad is something that has existed for many moons now, and will eventually get fixed...)

Edit: I read up about fixing the wpad problems and I need to do this as part of the fix:

Adding the New WPAD Host Record

To add a new WPAD host record
                        1. To open the DNS Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DNS.
                        2. In the console tree, expand Server_Name, and expand Forward Lookup Zones.
                        3. Right-click Domain_Suffix, which represents the domain suffix for your Internal network.
                        4. Click New Host (A).
                        5. In the Name (uses parent domain name if blank) text box, in the New Host dialog box, type wpad.
                        6. In IP address, type the IP address where the ISA Server Web listener is operating.
                        7. Select Create associated pointer (PTR) record.
                        8. Click Add Host, and then click OK to close the message box.
                        9. Click Done to close the New Host dialog box.
                        10. Right-click Server_Name, and click Clear Cache.
                        11. Close the DNS snap-in.
                        Needless to say: "I can't..." :-/
                        Last edited by HouseVincent; 12th June 2007, 09:01.

Comment

Hi,
                          I found your post on Google. I'm having the same problem with my server. Did you find any solution yet?

Thanks!
                          Yan

Comment

Can you look in your Event viewer for the File Replication entries. If there are problems there, you may have problems with your DNS. Are you approacing disk full or any of these conditions?
                            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X