Strange SBS 2000 - SBS 2003 R2 Migration Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange SBS 2000 - SBS 2003 R2 Migration Issue

Greetings, i hope you can give me some insight, ive been trying to perform a migration from SBS 2000 to 2003 R2 today except i am unable to migrate the Sid history for user accounts.

It continually fails with the error informing me that i have either not set the "TcpipClientSupport" registry value to 1 on the source DC or the PDC cannot be contacted when using ADMT v2.0

This is despite the fact that i can ping it, browse to it by name, ip address and browse active directory from the destination server.

I have followed the Microsoft SBS migration guide, applied forwarders to both source at destination servers, used the same username and password for the built in administrator account on each server and created the domain local security group on the source server using the ADMT wizard.

Ive tried using the ADMT v3.0 tool but it gives me the error "RPC Service is unavailable"

Ive found several documents which relate to the issue but none that specifically relate to SBS - SBS migrations, the common solution is too add a trust between the two domains but its obviously not an option here.

If anyone could throw some ideas into the pot it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Re: Strange SBS 2000 - SBS 2003 R2 Migration Issue

At the risk of sounding monotonous, check out www.sbsmigration.com. There are several benefits to buying his toolkit as opposed to using ADMT. And since you are already in a position where the advised route is not working for you, you have 3 options IMHO
    1) Get a professional to help you (costs money)
    2) Ring Microsoft PSS/CSS to help you with THEIR whie paper and why it is not working (costs money but at least it's a fixed cost of $245/call IIRC)
    3) Buy the migration kit I mentioned above, if your original AD is still intact, and start reading (~$200)

Just a last thought, did you disable the Windows Firewall on the Win2K3SP1 server before you tried to communicate?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

"RPC Service is unavailable" . This is error message comes when you either RPC services is not started or already started. You cannot restart the service again.

Most important is where do we have the DNS Pointing to. This is the main reason why we get this error message.

Hope it would help you a lot...

Comment

"RPC Service is unavailable" . This is error message comes when you either RPC services is not started or already started. You cannot restart the service again.

Most important is where do we have the DNS Pointing to. This is the main reason why we get this error message.

Hope it would help you a lot...

why r we going for migration. we can always try to connect the new R2 box to the damain. Promote the R2 box as an ADC. and transferred all the roles to that Box.
        eliminate the old box out of the domain...

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy1bhalla View Post

why r we going for migration. we can always try to connect the new R2 box to the damain. Promote the R2 box as an ADC. and transferred all the roles to that Box.
          eliminate the old box out of the domain...
          This is NOT the SBS method and doesn't let you transfer Exchange in an easy manner. Nor setup SBS in the supported manner. The OP tried to use the ADMT method (which is supported but not what I personally prefer) and ran into difficulties.
          Many SBS "admins" think only of trying to start over again (only 5 or 10 users etc) and end up destroying the profiles and permissions. At least, here a migration is being attempted, which I prefer as a strategy.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X