Newbie W2K3 Client Profile And Drive Mappng Help Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie W2K3 Client Profile And Drive Mappng Help Request

First and foremost, I am a newbie to Server 2003 and am simply trying to help out a small company that cannot afford to get professional help to do the job.

Having just installed Windows Server 2003 on a new hardware platform, I am having profile issues with the client XP based machines. Although I named the new server with the same name as the old server, when I connect any of the clients, a new profile is created on each client. This amongst many other things means that Outlook needs to be re-configured for each client.

Can anyone tell me how to connect the client machines so that the connection uses their old profile?

In addition the old server has several mapped network drives on the D: disk but I have been unable to find a way to map the folders. I have made them shares but I would like to make the new server setup identical. Can anyone advise how I can set up mapped network shares on the secondary drive?

I have tried the traditional method used on XP based systems but WS 2003 does not show folders on the secondary drive (D.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Chris

Re: Newbie W2K3 Client Profile And Drive Mappng Help Request

Hi Chris,

You are effectively installing and configuring a fresh system for this company!

You don't say which version of server it is; Standard or Small Business Server.

Is the Server a member server which shares files and printers or have you gone one stage further, installed Active Directory and made it a domain controller?

Even the most basic of setup's will require knowledge which you may have to bring in.

The way you describe the user profile would suggest the users profiles were roaming and are held on the old server. What has happened to the old server? Is it useable?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
      Hi Chris,

You are effectively installing and configuring a fresh system for this company!

You don't say which version of server it is; Standard or Small Business Server.

Is the Server a member server which shares files and printers or have you gone one stage further, installed Active Directory and made it a domain controller?

Even the most basic of setup's will require knowledge which you may have to bring in.

The way you describe the user profile would suggest the users profiles were roaming and are held on the old server. What has happened to the old server? Is it useable?
      Hi Simon

Thank you for your response, I really hope you can help.

The new server is simply a direct replacement for the old aging hardware which is currently still up and running but unreliable from a hardware perspective.

The server is a Small Business Server and does have Active Directory running and despite reading a fair amount about active directory, it is still a mystery to me.

The server is a full domain controller sharing files and printers, it has several network shares on the second drive. For example Public mapped to a logical P:
      Although I have managed to get Public sharing, I have been unsuccessful getting it to map a drive letter

The user profiles are static and held on each clients machine (no roaming client service active)

Simple, out of hours testing with a single client machine attached indicates that the server is fundamentally working but as indicated earlier, when I associate it with the new domain computer, the client builds a new local profile. If I logon to the client in local mode I can see the new profile. I hope this helps!

Chris
      Last edited by Beamer; 2nd June 2007, 08:55.

Comment

The way Windows works is that each user account on the old server had a unique "SID" and the profiles were tied to that. When you created new accounts on the new server, they got a different SID, so a new profile was created e.g. user became user.newdomain.

Some settings can simply be copied from the old to the new profile folders but AFAIK outlook settings are part of the registry and held in NTUSER.DAT which is more difficult to copy.

As an aside, does anyone have a foolproof way of migrating ALL of a users settings from e.g. workgroup to domain or between domains?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Moved to SBS Forum.

If supporting this company going to be a common occurance, then I suggest you invest in Train Signal's SBS 2003 Lab. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=68
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            .... does anyone have a foolproof way of migrating ALL of a users settings from e.g. workgroup to domain or between domains?
            It is called Swing Migration (not free) from www.sbsmigration.com for between domains (preserve AD and therefore SID). In SBS if you UTFW and connect your computers to the domain using //<server>/connectcomputer you get an offer to migrate the user profile from workgroup to domain.

Finally, you can always use XP's File and Settings Transfer Wizard.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Guy's many thanks for the feedback, from a security perspective I was beginning to think there was a GUID or SID involved. Since there are only ten users I will try the recommendation of using the profile wizard and worst case doing the job manually one at a time.

Can anyone comment on my other question copied below:

In addition the old server has several mapped network drives on the D: disk but I have been unable to find a way to map the folders. I have made them shares but I would like to make the new server setup identical. Can anyone advise how I can set up mapped network shares on the secondary drive public directory for example?

I have tried the traditional method used on XP based systems but WS 2003 does not show folders on the secondary drive D drive.
              Last edited by Beamer; 3rd June 2007, 19:29.

Comment

You put the relevant "net use" commands in the login script - like always. This is not connected to SBS, or special. It's just that SBS already has a login script and you should amend it accordingly.

TIP: I always add the line to the existing script:

call %LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\common.bat

then put all the relevant extra commands in common.bat. That way if a wizard or service pack or other fix restores the original SBS script, I don't have to remember changes made - they are all in another file.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  You put the relevant "net use" commands in the login script - like always. This is not connected to SBS, or special. It's just that SBS already has a login script and you should amend it accordingly.

TIP: I always add the line to the existing script:

call %LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\common.bat

then put all the relevant extra commands in common.bat. That way if a wizard or service pack or other fix restores the original SBS script, I don't have to remember changes made - they are all in another file.
                  Teiger: Many thanks for your input. I do appreciate this is really a W2K3 question as was the first part of my help request but it seems the mention of SBS caused it to be moved to this SBS forum area.

If I understand you correctly W2K3 does not support local mapped network shares in the same way as XP. Is that correct?

Currently if I logon to the server as Administrator, I can see several mapped network shares but the logon script makes no reference to them. I will take another look to see if I missed something.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X