X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News about Cougar

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2007/05/he...on-of-sbs.html

No ISA....

64 bit only (no in place upgrades then...)

Interesting...
    Neil Mac

Re: News about Cougar

You missed out "No Tape" which is important too.

And remember:
    "Our Beta 1 is in the field with our MVPs (don't ask, they can't talk about it either!) "
    So more that what is made public, I am not at liberty to say.

Now where is that 64-bit hardware.......
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Well that answered my question.

I think the no ISA is a stupid move as it is no longer a "one stop shop". Now you have to have a seperate machine (or box) setup as a firewall. Another machine setup for TS. (SBS 2000 now looked like the best of the lot). Seems like MS are doing a gradual migration away from the SBS all in one package. Cougar is looking more and more an unattractive alternative the more I find out about it.

I hope the feedback to the evil empire will make them change things back to the previous solution like SBS 2003. I believe Cougar will cost them market share especially after all the promo they have been throwing at SBS 2003. Linux is going to be a cheaper and more complete alternative to Cougar if you are going to need a box for Firewall, TS and the rest. What else is Cougar going to require to be added on as a "third party option"?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Beg to differ, Biggles77.
        Most of SBS 2003 sales were Standard and not Premium, so most "new" SBS shops are already running without ISA, though I am a strong Premium fan myself. TS is also a complexity not usually required - Remote Web Workplace is a better KISS alternative whereby you take control of a desktop in the LAN to work as you would whilst away from the office.
        Of course, us dyed-in-the-wool pros still like our ISAs and TSes so that it is not all done by wizards.........

;>)
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Beg to differ, Biggles77.
          Most of SBS 2003 sales were Standard and not Premium, so most "new" SBS shops are already running without ISA, though I am a strong Premium fan myself.
          ;>)
          /me close mouth after surprise.

Well, that make me look like a complete twonk. Looks like MS is just replying to market sales and removing what buyers aren't purchasing. I do not understand why anyone would purchase a Standard version when for an extremely minimal amount more you get a burger with the lot. I suppose I can maybe understand why ISA was not wanted since I think ISA 2000 was only a little better than Proxy 2, but ISA 2004 is the child I always wanted (haven't looked at ISA 2006 yet and a shame packet shaping wasn't included). Ok, an exageration but after running through Train Signal's ISA 2004 Lab I just loved what could be initially done with it. I just translated that to the SBS product and then projected it to Cougar.

Steven, with what you can talk about, what is going to be the best firewall solution you can envisage for Cougar (at this point in time)?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X