WSS3: Configuration fails during "Task 2" Creating Configuration Database

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSS3: Configuration fails during "Task 2" Creating Configuration Database

Our setup is a single SBS 2003 Server (non-R2). Fully patched up and updated with service packs. I have also recently updated to WSUS3. I am following the MS Whitepaper on installing with SBS2003 side-by-side install, not the upgrade.

After installing WSS3, during the "SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard", task 2 "Creating the Configuration Database" the configuration fails. I am prompted with:

Failed to create the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass'.
    The Following events are logged in Event Viewer.

Event 5586:
    Unknown SQL Exception 2812 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass'.
    Event 104
    Failed to create the configuration database.
    An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown. Additional exception information: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass'.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass'.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlExc eption exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaDat a()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteRead er(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderT ds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader( CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader( CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(Com mandBehavior behavior, String method)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(Com mandBehavior behavior)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SqlSession.ExecuteR eader(SqlCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfiguratio nDatabase.FetchId(QualifiedObjectName qName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfiguratio nDatabase.GetObject(String name, Guid parentId, Type type)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfiguratio nDatabase.Initialize(SqlConnectionStringBuilder connectionString, Boolean enableCaching)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfiguratio nDatabase.RegisterDefaultDatabaseServices(SqlConne ctionStringBuilder connectionString)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPConfiguratio nDatabase.Provision(SqlConnectionStringBuilder connectionString)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarm.Create( SqlConnectionStringBuilder configurationDatabase, SqlConnectionStringBuilder administrationContentDatabase, IdentityType identityType, String farmUser, SecureString farmPassword)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.Config urationDatabaseTask.CreateOrConnectConfigDb()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.Config urationDatabaseTask.Run()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskTh read.ExecuteTask()
    Event 100
    Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed. Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly. To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_5_20_2007_11_29_ 32_639_1218059459.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.
    I have dug around the web and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of answers for this. The few others that I have found with this problem, sound like they also never received an answer.

Any help would be great!
    Last edited by dlevasseur; 20th May 2007, 18:05.

Re: WSS3: Configuration fails during "Task 2" Creating Configuration Database

For me the Guru on this stuff is over on the blog of "Aimless ramblings of a blithering lunatic" aka as fellow SBS MVP, Chad Gross. Start by finding him over on
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archi...04-errors.aspx.
    But I further beg the question, do you really need WSS3.0 for a business reason. I mean you could probably get a V8 4.7 litre engine to fit into a Ford Mondeo, but why would you? Similarly SBS was designed with WSS2.0, so unless you have an excellent reason, why go there?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      For me the Guru on this stuff is over on the blog of "Aimless ramblings of a blithering lunatic" aka as fellow SBS MVP, Chad Gross. Start by finding him over on
      http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archi...04-errors.aspx.
      But I further beg the question, do you really need WSS3.0 for a business reason. I mean you could probably get a V8 4.7 litre engine to fit into a Ford Mondeo, but why would you? Similarly SBS was designed with WSS2.0, so unless you have an excellent reason, why go there?
      It has some very nice features that I would like to use for our internal website. I'm not trying to upgrade the sharepoint 2 install, I'm trying to do a side by side.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can figure something out.

Comment

WSS 3.0 on SBS White Paper released

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...-released.aspx
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          WSS 3.0 on SBS White Paper released

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...-released.aspx

Yup, thats the one that I followed. Something just seems funky with SQL. SQL was updated when I installed WSUS3. Maybe I should have done this the other way around WSS3 before WSUS3. Which would be doable, though kinda a pain.

Comment

Hi Dan -

What data store are you using for WSS 3.0? If you followed the MS doc metioned, it will install SQL Server Embedded Edition (SSEE) to use as the data store. I have seen this error once before, and it was due to the system not being able to connect to the data store. First thing to check is to verify SQL communication protocols are enabled:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archi...04-errors.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by cgross View Post
              Hi Dan -

What data store are you using for WSS 3.0? If you followed the MS doc metioned, it will install SQL Server Embedded Edition (SSEE) to use as the data store. I have seen this error once before, and it was due to the system not being able to connect to the data store. First thing to check is to verify SQL communication protocols are enabled:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archi...04-errors.aspx
              I am not sure of which store I am using, it didn't prompt for one, and I am not all savvy when it comes to SQL. I ran the cliconfg program and it shows to be the same as the setup you linked with TCP/IP and Named Pipes enables along with the checkbox.

Comment

Just wanted to update this for anyone that runs into this thread with the same problem. There is a HotFix from MS to solve this problem as noted here:

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...-wsus-3-0.aspx

After installing the HotFix I reran the WSS3 configuration and everything worked great.

Comment

Working...
                X