Tape drive not detected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape drive not detected

I have a new Dell PowerEdge 840 server with a Dell DAT72 tape drive. NTbackup detects the tape drive and BackupExec 10d detects the tape drive, but if I run the backup wizard in System Administrator, the tape is not detected and only an option to back up to a folder is detected (tape is greyed out). Device Manager shows the drive functioning properly.

The drives is a Seagate DAT72 and originally it had the Dell drivers, 5.1.23 and I also tried the the Backup Exec drivers (Symantec 5.1.19). Neither driver works.

If NTbackup detects the drive, and the backup wizard in SBS 2003 uses NTbackup, any idea why it is not being detected?

I am having problems with BackupExec not holdig more that 36GB on the tape so I want to try the backup provision in SBS 2003 as part of my diagnosis.

TIA
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Tape drive not detected

First of all 36Gb is the capacity of the tape you bought. 72Gb is the marketting hype for capacity when you achieve 2:1 compression - something you are unlikely to do on an SBS server. The best you could hope for is in the 40-45Gb range!
    I'm sorry I can't help you with the Backup wizard. I've never heard of NTBackup recognising the tape but the Backup wizard not.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      First of all 36Gb is the capacity of the tape you bought. 72Gb is the marketting hype for capacity when you achieve 2:1 compression - something you are unlikely to do on an SBS server. The best you could hope for is in the 40-45Gb range!
      I'm sorry I can't help you with the Backup wizard. I've never heard of NTBackup recognising the tape but the Backup wizard not.
      I know all that. The native capacity of the drive is 36GB and it will not extend past that. I have about 40 similar installations in place so I am not new to this, but this one has me baffled.

I rebooted the server and the appearance of the drive in the backup wizard corrected itself.

Comment

Ah the panacea to MS Operating Systems - the reboot.
        And if you "know all that" why state you were having problems backing up more than 36Gb? Perhaps the reboot has helped that too? You know we only try to be helpful in these forums - it's not our day job! And Daniel has some pretty strict rules about how we behave!!
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          Ah the panacea to MS Operating Systems - the reboot.
          And if you "know all that" why state you were having problems backing up more than 36Gb? Perhaps the reboot has helped that too? You know we only try to be helpful in these forums - it's not our day job! And Daniel has some pretty strict rules about how we behave!!

I appreciiate your review on tape drives and compression but you are incorrect - 36GB is not the capacity of the drive. 36GB is the *native* capacity of the drive, the drive supports compression, and as you indirectly state some capacity above 36GB should be expected.

This thread inadvertantly spilled over from a thread I had in 'other' Petri forum posting concerning the compression aspect so all the facts were not included in this thread and I do not want to be double-posting.

If you think you could shed some light on my HARDWARE problem located at http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...9245#post69245 , I would appreciate your knowledgeable input.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
            I appreciiate your review on tape drives and compression but you are incorrect - 36GB is not the capacity of the drive. 36GB is the *native* capacity of the drive, the drive supports compression, and as you indirectly state some capacity above 36GB should be expected.
            Originally posted by teiger
            How can saying 40-45GB on a 36GB capacity tape be indirectly stating a capacity?
            Secondly, please do not split hairs over something insignificant like the word *native*. Save the hair splitting for something important.
            Lastly, this "capacity" discussion could be carried on in your thread in the Misc Forum where you can learn about my personal dislike of tape as a backup media.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Tieger stated, "The best you could hope for is in the 40-45Gb range!" If we know the native capacity is 36GB, then this statement indicates that a capacity above 36GB shoujd be expected and that is where I was going with this.

I the drive's capacity is *only* 36GB as stated by Tieger, then I should not 'hope for something in the 40-45GB range' because that would contradict Tieger's statement.

If the way I worded my post was confusing, I hope my explanation clears it. I attempted to deflect any additional discussion back to the thread where the subject originated and I am anxious for any feedback.

Personal dislikes aside, I have to work with what I have. The customer requested and got a brand new server with a tape drive and there lies my challenge. Dell has offered to work with me on this Wednesday morning.

Let me also take this oppurtunity to add, my comment "I know all that." was not meant to come across as something arrogant and it is difficult to convey my demeanor in a post. I appreciate Teiger taking the time to read my post and offer a suggestion. I like a good technical challenge and I also apprecaite having the help from the great group of people here. Are we OK?

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                Tieger stated, "The best you could hope for is in the 40-45Gb range!" If we know the native capacity is 36GB, then this statement indicates that a capacity above 36GB shoujd be expected and that is where I was going with this.

I the drive's capacity is *only* 36GB as stated by Tieger, then I should not 'hope for something in the 40-45GB range' because that would contradict Tieger's statement.
                Now I am really confused. As I said above, follow this up on your other thread. No more need to be said in here.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X