No announcement yet.

SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

Just a question re the title.

We have a SBS2000 server on a site with a 7gb C: drive and 35Gb D: drive the C: drive only has 1Gb free. The D: drive hosts the exchange server.

Am I right in thinking if we add 2 more disks in a mirror eg 72Gb or 146Gb will I be able to upgrade the SBS2K install but to another drive?

Re: SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

Maybe it's late, I'm tired or just thick, but I don't quite understand what exactly you are trying to do. I can see the end result, bigger drives with excess spare capacity.

Are you trying to mirror the 7GB C: drive onto a 72GB (or 146GB) drive and then create a RAID1 and then do the same with the D: drive? How many HDDs do you have at present? Is there a specific reason for downgrading to Windows Server 2003 (eg growth potential will exceed the 75 user limit)? SBS2003 Premuim upgrade may be a potential option.

A few more details may help for a better answer.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Re: SBS 2000 to 2003 Upgrade

Current thinking seems to be you need at least 20gb for your C drive heading towards 30Gb if you want the server to last you a longer time. Check out which will let you install a fresh SBS 2003 whist preserving your existing AD and user profiles. Otherwise you will need a 3rd party utility to enlarge your system partition.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.