No announcement yet.

Disable XP Firewall on SBS Policy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable XP Firewall on SBS Policy

I want to disable Windows Firewall from a client computer ( XP Professional SP2 ) that is part of domain that is ruled by Small Business Server 2003.

On the client computer the option to Turn On / Off the Windows Firewall is disabled.

I need to know on the Small Business Server 2003 how to disable this configuration.

Thanks for your atention.

Re: Disable XP Firewall on SBS Policy

If it is just for one PC that you need to do this, the easiest way is to just stop the Firewall Service on the PC.

Check out the following:

It shows you how to use Group Policy to manage the firewall configurations on domain computers.

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Whilst that is a great article by Charlie Russel, you shouldn't need to use it.
        Open the Group Policy Management console from Administrattive Tools on the server and you should see an SBS Windows Firewall Group policy already defined, both Standard (Off domain) and Domain profiles. You can amend anything you need there. The On and Off domain are useful for laptops, so that the have separate definitions. This requires the Network Awareness service to be working on the client correctly, so make sure the client machine is correctly MU'd (Microsoft Update)
        For a specific machine only, move it to a separate OU in AD and create the policy for it there.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.