No announcement yet.

hangs at applying personal setting

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hangs at applying personal setting

I wonder if i could have some of your expertise here. I have a PC desktop that's joined to the domain. It worked fine until i went uninstalling a software program (Autodesk) from it and then re-starting it. After putting in my username and password at login, the process went OK from loading the personal setting to applying personal setting. It hangs there at applying personal setting and nothing happen for a very long time. Then, i tried if i could go to safe mode and everything is fine. Also, at login, i tried not to log on to the "myserver" but to "this computer" and everything's fine. i wonder what's caused this problem.

PC runs on windows XP Pro and my server runs on SBS 2003 SP1.

Thank you in advance

Re: hangs at applying personal setting

Try renaming the local profile for the account i.e go to:

c:\documents and settings and rename the user account to <username>.old or something like that and try logging back in again. If everything is OK then copy all documents and files from the .old profile to the newly created profile.

Hope this helps

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

This is an example of why I use the "redirect my documents" Group Policy. User Profile corruption is not that uncommon. Not only that, having My Documents redirected to the server, also means that they are regularly backed up.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Thank you M80arm and Teiger for your helps.

By default, the "redirect mydocument" is selected and they are all kept in the folder "Users Shared Folders".

Today, i have the same problem with one of the users who complained that he could not get into windows. The computer sat on "Loading personal settings" for so long and eventually just had to shut it down by force. I logged into "safe mode" and rename the user profile by going to "C:\Documents and Settings\" and add ".old" (eg. michael.old"). This didn't help solve the issue. I have already deleted his file from the "users shared folders" folder. Should it not create a new profile for this user?

Thank you in advance