Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Internet - IP settings??

Hiya.

To start - thought i'd better say that when it comes to SBS or Networking i dont really haven a clue - got lumbered with the job of looking after it after our administrator moved to another country (who cant speak a word of english! )

anyway - my problem :

For serveral weeks now (since getting a Static IP) our internet at work as been extremely slow - only loading webpages tho - when downloading a file speeds seem absolutely fine. Once on the website, if i was to use the internal links in that site all seems fine up-until i change to a different site.

i.e
    Go to site microsoft.com - internet will hang for bout 1min (generally timing out)
    once on that site, if i was to go to microsoft.com/vista - speeds are as-expected
    if i was then to go to apple.com - internet hangs again etc etc etc....

At first I thought this was an issue with the ISP (BT), but after several long phone calls they tested the line and found no fault - they even logged into the router and checked over the settings for me, all aparently being correct.

After guessing this must be an issue with the server, i turned off the server, connected one of the client pcs directly to the router and all was fine.

Would this be an IP issue?? if-so, whats the cure!

Ive read a few people say it may have something to do with exchange server taking up the bandwith, but have stopped/shutdown the exchange server (via services) and it made no difference.

I've added the Ipconfig details, im hoping this will be what you need. the Static IP address has been removed tho as server is in a rather unsecure state at the mo after trying various things.

Hoping you can help on this one... if you do need anymore info ( which i expect you do) then ill try my best to retreive it

Thanks in advance

Jcsmithy
    Attached Files

Re: Slow Internet - IP settings??

See next post - this one was cack so I deleted it.
    Last edited by Stonelaughter; 3rd May 2007, 00:12.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Wait a minute - I've twigged it.

You're in the UK, you're getting the second network config from BT... you have the DNS Server set incorrectly. The DNS Server should have been set by DHCP from BT - but it appears to have been set manually.

Go into the TCP/IP settings for your "Network Connection" (i.e. the one with the 81.149 address) and set the DNS Server to be obtained automatically.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

It's hard to say if these two IPs are correct since you masked you static IP and you didn't mention the brand/model of your router.

Default Gateway.................: 81.149.58.229
        DHCP Server.....................: 192.168.1.254

But I don't think they are correct. The Default Gateway is the address from the router that the server will use. If the default IP range of the router is 192.168.1.1 ~ 192.168.1.255 then the Default Gateway IP will typically be something like 192.168.1.5

Based in the IP of the DHCP Server I am guessing you have your router handling DHCP. Unless there is some compelling reason like the router also handling VoIP then you should turn DHCP on the router off and let SBS handle the DHCP. Which means you need to change that DHCP Server IP to 192.168.16.2 ~ the IP of your server.

If you make those changes on the external NIC then you have to re-run CEICW to get them to applied to the server. When you run CEICW there will be a place for you to put the BT DNS server IPs. You put them in there and let SBS handle the forwarding.

Comment

Not sure about the BT settings - like DHCP enabled for your external network card? I usually use NAT from your router/firewall, telling it to map everything from the Static IP you get from the ISP to the External face of SBS - usually, 192.168.1.2, whilst the router's internal IP is 192.168.1.1.

But the DNS is DEFINITELY incorrect and not as stated above either. The External NIC should point to the SBS internal NIC for DNS. ie 192.168.16.2 and ONLY this one. The BT DNSs should be configured as forwarders. This is what the CEICW does for you in the opening network section.
          UTFW and you should be fine.
          Last edited by teiger; 3rd May 2007, 01:05. Reason: Correct Spelling
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

teiger, just to clarify in case I missed something, but in his attachment he has the DNS Server IP pointing to 162.168.16.2

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply, as you all seem confused i thought i better add all the other stuff thats been mentioned - Router model, Router settings etc etc etc, so here it is....

ISP is BT, and yes i am in the UK.
              Router model is BT2700HGV
              Router settings for local connection are :

.... if fact, to make it easier, ill load up some screenies of the router setup.

Thanks again for helping out on this.

Jcsmithy.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jcsmithy; 3rd May 2007, 22:41. Reason: Added info

Comment

DHCP and a static IP don't really make sense, except on rare occasions.
                All DNS entries everywhere should point to 192.168.16.2. That DNS server should in turn point to the BT DNS server. (you need to ask them for this) then follow teiger's instructions, or manually as outlined here.
                Note:: CIECW = Configure E-Mail and Internet Connection Wizard
                Side question...Whats up with the PPP adapter?
                and, we don't really need your public IP, edit that.

Hope I clarified and did not confuse.
                "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Just noticed something else, on the device list (in the attachment) you have devices with 192.168.1.x and 192.168.16.x.
                  That can't be right. Can you layout your topology.
                  "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

To explain;

The 81 Address is an ADSL IP address supplied by the ISP (hence the PPP connection). They will also supply the DNS server address for this connection via DHCP - by "static address" the OP means that the ISP has agreed to maintain a reservation in DHCP for this ADSL connection.

I think the topology will be something like the below sketch:

ADSL (BT) 81 IP >-------------< Nic A >---(SBS2003 box)---< Nic B >----------< Internal LAN 192 IP

The only thing I might have wrong is that Nic A might actually be a USB connection - I hope not (YUCK).

In this configuration, then the SBS DNS needs forwarders configuring for "All other DNS Domains" to the BT DNS Server and Lior is right that both Nic A and Nic B need to be looking inwards to SBS DNS for their name resolution. I think.

Tom

Comment

ADSL (BT) 81 IP >-------------< Nic A >---(SBS2003 box)---< Nic B >----------< Internal LAN 192 IP

The Topology that Stone mentioned looks about right - and no USB is involved here, all Ethernet.

only a couple of exceptions where our shipping/carrier PC is connected directly to the router (doesnt run through the SBS, but still has the same internet access prob.)

So - just to clarify what i need to do(n00b here remember) :

Set NIC A and NIC B 's DNS address to 192.168.16.2
                      Also have the EXT NIC's IP set to 192.168.16.2
                      Re-run CIECW and set DNS Forwarders to BT DNS

That it??
                      As for the router settings - they all fine??

Must admit - im kinda way out of my league here

Thanks again - sure your all used to these sort of questions

Comment

Hi guys,

Went ahead with trying the settings that i asked about in the previous post,

and with much amazement, it worked!!

Think ill leave all alone now, and leave anything else to the professionals

Thanks again Stonelaughter, Lior_S, teiger and BigStan for helping on this - less moaning from the boss and rest of the staff now

Jcsmithy.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted... reckon that's how a lot of us learned to love IT work - try something and it works and you feel good!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by jcsmithy View Post

Also have the EXT NIC's IP set to 192.168.16.2
                            Just for clarification, what is the INT NIC's IP set to? Or is that a typo?
                            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                            http://www.wintra.co.il/
                            sigpic
                            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

erm.. that wasnt exactly a typo - the address was already set to its Ext IP add. (81.) so decided to leave it as that.

In the end all i changed was the DNS addresses, then re-run the CIECW and inputted the ISP's DNS addresses, think i may have restarted brfore these kicked in too...

... Either way it works, so im happy now

Jcsmithy.

Comment

Working...
                              X