Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINS - event id 4204

Hi,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help with this WINS issue i've been receiving from my server SBS 2003 for a while.

The event ID: 4204 - WINS could not read from the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) socket.

I tried to check if the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is installed and found that it's there with a tick in the checkbox under LAN connection properties. I assume, it's installed. However, when i clicked on the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), the button "install" was enabled and "uninstall" button was greyed out (disable). Then, i pressed on "install" button. The next screen pop up is a list of type of network component for me to click to install. They are Client, Service, and Protocol. Unsure what to do at this point.

Can anyone help me with this WINS issue please

Thank you in advance

Re: WINS - event id 4204

Did you stop the WINS service before trying to install Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) ?
    You really need to make sure its installed because the WINS gives this error because it isn't receiving certain packages.

Comment

Thank you Spoofer for your reply.

Just out of curiosity, should TCP/IP protocol not be installed at the start? I mean windows should have it installed in the first place, shouldn't it?

Another thing i'd like to ask is that i noticed that i've been getting this error since i started to use the router Netgear FVS318v3 that's connected to the server SBS 2003. I wonder if i need to allow a certain port number in order to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance

Comment

associates ~ Can you post an ipconfig/all of the server?

Comment

Hi BigStan,

Yes, certainly. Please find the attached file.

thank you
          Attached Files

Comment

See if this helps
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310570
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ipconfig looks good.

However, when i clicked on the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), the button "install" was enabled and "uninstall" button was greyed out (disable).
              This is normal. My system does thes also.

There is nothing wrong with your node. It is supposed to be unknown.

See if any these help ~

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...e=Wins&phase=1

Comment

Associates,

Do you get this message on startup only or every 40 mins? If every 40 mins, it is pretty safe to ignore - or you can use one of the articles to change the interval to much longer than 40 mins to decrease frequency.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X