Inability of terminal computer to logon to Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inability of terminal computer to logon to Server 2003

Help is sought please in recovering a computer connected to a Small Bus Server MS 2003 with 6 computers connected via a LAN in a fairly standard configuration: ADSL modem, 8 port Ethernet switch. All computers are running XP Pro SP2.

Everything was working fine till a Microsoft Auto Update (which I have since turned off) caused 4 out of the 6 computers to not be able to logon to the server. The mapped (server) drive was not connected on boot-up and the terminals could fire up but with a LAN non connectivity warning. Picking up an earlier restore point temporarily fixed the problem but I suspect the auto update process killed it again.

Tracking back through earlier restore points failed to fix the problem after that.

I changed the security and network settings on the most important computer to no avail and in desperation, did an OS repair/reload.

A reboot of the server fixed all the other terminal problems but the computer I have reloaded cannot log onto the server. Over the network I can “see” and can access files on the isolated computer but cannot get past the “invalid user name and password” message.

I can change the password on the server for that machine and I downloaded the Petri boot-up tool and used it to change the password on the offending machine. Nothing works. I still get the, “The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain . . . . etc.,” message.

I can log on as the normal user (of that computer) from any other working computers.

Because I can “look into” and write to the drives on the offending computer, perhaps someone out there has a suggestion as to how I can get over this problem?

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Inability of terminal computer to logon to Server 2003

Need more details. Did you install Windows Server SP2? Is DHCP still running on the server?
    Post an "ipconfig /all" file from the server and workstation as attachments here .
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Delete the computer from your AD then readd it. Then login locally to the PC and go to http://<server>/connectcomputer (where <server> is you SBS server name).

This will ensure that the computer is fully recreated in your SBS AD.

Also make sure that the time is correct on the problem PC.

Hope this helps

Dean

Comment

Originally posted by DeanPorter View Post
        Delete the computer from your AD then readd it. Then login locally to the PC and go to http://<server>/connectcomputer (where <server> is you SBS server name).

This will ensure that the computer is fully recreated in your SBS AD.

Also make sure that the time is correct on the problem PC.

Hope this helps

Dean
        That is correct but incomplete. You need to run the Add Computer Wizard to create the name in AD for the /connectcomputer to work and if the name already exited in AD you need to delete it and the corresponding C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\ClientSetup\response\<computername> directory on the server.
        NB Make sure you know a local logon name or create one BEFORE you diconnectthe PC from the domain.
        TIA

sigpic
        I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          That is correct but incomplete. You need to run the Add Computer Wizard to create the name in AD for the /connectcomputer to work and if the name already exited in AD you need to delete it and the corresponding C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\ClientSetup\response\<computername> directory on the server.
          NB Make sure you know a local logon name or create one BEFORE you diconnectthe PC from the domain.
          Thankyou gentlemen. Because I was unable to fire up the terminal computer, I was unable to do an IPconfig. As a matter of interest, the DHCP is disabled on the server, I use the modem/router to allocate internal IP's. In another desperation attempt I again ran the Petri password tool and elected the "Blank Password" option. It worked and I am currently restoring the terminal to it's former configuration.

Since the recovery, the password (on the terminal) cannot be altered to anything but it's current blank state and the computer is able to logon to the server rrespective of the password set in the server. I suspect that when I run the Add Computer wizard as you suggest (and I will do that after office hours tonight) the passwords will be syncronised.

Thank you again for your suggestions; I will let you know what the conclusion is.

Keith Lello

Comment

The Conclusion

After the close of business tonight and with the help of a more knowledgeable acquaintance, we ascertained the offending computer was running as a "local machine" and accessing server based information on a peer-to-peer basis.

This concerned me from a security point of view but my more knowledgeable friend assures me that he found that the embedded but unseen password was still protecting the integrity of my files. I didn't see that personally but accept his assessment.

The recommended logon to the server (without previous deletion of the computer from the server) worked. Like magic my pre-update status was restored.

Thanks again Teiger and Dean for your assistance.

Keith L.

Comment

SBS needs to be your DHCP server in SBS or your AD will never work correctly. Try to make that changeover- it will pay off in the end!
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X