Move Mailbox to New Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Mailbox to New Server

Hi, I have just setup a new server that connect to my DC. I am having issues with the Exchange Server Manager. I cant start some of the services for Exchange. Keeps prompting me with error but I can still launch ESM but got error as well. How am I going to solve this? How do I move the Mailbox for my users too? Both servers are running SBS. Pls kindly advise.Thanks

Re: Move Mailbox to New Server

Moving to SBS Forum since both servers are SBS.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Huh? You can't have 2 SBS servers in the same network. Your choices are follow the MS whitepaper and use ADMT to transfer AD to new forest/domain breaking everything else on the way, use swing migration technique from www.sbsmigration.com or build everything from scratch including manually transferring your data.

Apart from swing migration, which allows you to move your Exchange databases "as-is" to your new server (aka forklift method), your only other help method is to use Exmerge to move data from one Exchange Server to another.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Teiger,

So that means if I build a new SBS system from scratch, do i need to join to my current domain or set a new domain? how about my exchange server? Do i need to disconnect my current domain after all installations had completed?Thanks

Comment

If you build your new SBS from scratch (worst possible option IMNSHO) then you do not and cannot join it to your existing domain. You must rebuild everything including your shares, permissions, printers and user profiles/desktops etc.
          Your exchange you transfer by using Exmerge which is equivalent to exporting all your mailboxes to .pst's and then reimporting them - breaking single instance storage on the way. And don't forget to copy your public folders to one of the mailboxes so that you can copy them back again when you are finished.

From SBSMigration.com site:
          Scratch Install

(Reinstall server/domain from scratch as clean install to new domain)
          Abandons the domain accounts and configurations
          Workstation profiles for users are abandoned, require transition at every station
          All settings and preferences are recreated from scratch
          No specific solution provided for maintaining security preference in data, or Exchange configuration, Group Policies, Security Groups, and similar items
          Essentially this implies significant work at all workstations, all servers, replacement of any other DCs, in addition to the server

Other options are offered above - please review.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi Teiger,

Thanks for the info.

How to i use the exmerge to transfer the exchange mailbox? from the existing SBS on the command?

I have actually re configure everything on the new SBS including users mailbox, rights etc. Then i copied the public & private files to the new SBS. overwriting the files. then in exchange server manager, i run a cleanup agent then purge the mailbox, reconnect the mailbox that i had transfered from the old exchange to the user. It seems to work for the user in OWA but not in Outlook. How do I actuall solve this issue? Thanks.

Comment

If you can see your email in OWA but not in Outlook on the client workstations, then you probably need to rebuild the .ost file on each client computer. First open OL and export all the data to a .pst file in case you need it later. Then delete the .ost file on the client. Reconnect to Exchange and it will create a new .ost.

Comment

Hi BigStan,

Thanks for the info.

I can see the emails in Outlook but unable to receive or send any emails out. No problem in OWA.

So will this solve the problem too? Kindly advise. Thanks.

Comment

If OWA is working then Exchange is working. So the problem is most likely on the client. On a rebuild sometimes the .ost on the clients get out of sync with Exchange and won't update. You can test it by undoing cache mode on the Outlook Client. If you remove the cache checkmark and OL starts working as expected, then the .ost is corrupt. If not, then you will probably have to delete and reset up the profile for that user on that client pc.

Be sure you get a .pst backup if those OL files before you do anything.

Comment

Hi

Thanks alot for the guidance. Will do that & inform you again. Appreciate : )

Comment

Working...
                    X