No announcement yet.

Need Help with SBS 2003 Installation / Network Setup

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with SBS 2003 Installation / Network Setup

I'm a newbie when it comes to setting up SBS networks. I've been supporting them for the last year or so but have never implemented one myself at a client site. So I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Here's what I got. A cox cable connection with 2 static IP's. Currently, there is a Linksys BEFSX41 4-port firewall/router on site. It is a 192.168.1.X network.

I built the SBS server from the ground up at our office. I have updated it to all the latest service packs, minus Server 2003 SP2. ISA is not installed. It will be a 192.168.16.X network.

The SBS server has two nics (well, 4 actually). My question is... what would be the best way to set this up with 2 nics, 1 Router/Firewall, and without ISA?

I will attach my 'drawing' if you will. I'm asking for anyone to critique it, and let me know if it will work, and if not, what I should be doing.

Brandon Carder, MCP, A+, N+
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ahinson; 12th April 2007, 21:39.

Re: Need Help with SBS 2003 Installation / Network Setup

See attached for the more usual way of configuring SBS server with 2 NICs - with or without ISA server.
    I don't understand the reasoning behind your network layout. Perhaps if you explain, I may pick up something I am missing.
    BTW one static IP address is enough for SBS to fully interact on the Internet.
    Attached Files

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Need Help with SBS 2003 Installation / Network Setup

If U want to use both the IP's from your ISP (I don't think that your router can handle 2 external IP's) then I suggest to install and configure ISA on the SBS Machine.

On your current config U have the SBS machine connected directly to the net only with the windows firewall (if you can start it)