Configuring more than one connector in exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring more than one connector in exchange

I have a windows 2003 sbs with exchange on it.

Sometime we have a problem sending to certain domains, resulting in a deliver delay message being sent. I have found that if I change my connector setting from routing through DNS to routing through my ISPís mail server this can deliver the mail almost instantly.

I know I can have more than one SMTP connector but my question is how can I route through the DNS one as default and fall back to my ISPís mail server as secondary? I cannot see a way of doing this in the management console.

Thanks for the advice

Re: Configuring more than one connector in exchange

you configure this with your internal DNS server, not exchange per say...

what is your AD DNS setup like? ideally, if your internal DNS is configured correctly, then there is no reason that exchange should send "better" with a different connector...

your primary DNS should be the IP your ISP gives you. this should, if things are working right, replicate to additional DNS servers and give workstations the IP of the internal DNS that will foward requests on behalf of the clients...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      you configure this with your internal DNS server, not exchange per say...

what is your AD DNS setup like? ideally, if your internal DNS is configured correctly, then there is no reason that exchange should send "better" with a different connector...

your primary DNS should be the IP your ISP gives you. this should, if things are working right, replicate to additional DNS servers and give workstations the IP of the internal DNS that will foward requests on behalf of the clients...
      No no no, sorry, I totally disagree.

The IS a reason why Exchange would send email much faster via smart host (ISP) rather than attempt to send it himself!

The primary DNS for ANY Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista computer SHULD NEVER BE the ISP's DNS!!!

You need to have a locally configured and working (!!!) DNS infrastructure, and in it, you CAN configure the DNS (not the computer!!!) to forward queries to the ISP's DNS. All computers on the network HAVE to use the INTERNAL DNS as their ONLY DNS.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I was having a similar issue where exchange would not send to one domain. The reason why this was happening was because I had that domain in the Recipient Policy and had checked the checkbox which said "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address". The reason I did this was because I wanted to spoof the FROM address and reply-to address on e-mails I sent. Because of this Exchange tried routing the e-mail locally, which it couldn't do since the mailboxes for that domain didn't reside on my local server, rather with a 3rd party hosting company.

Hopes this info helps anyone who is having a similar issue.

-Eli
        Last edited by kingbear2; 2nd April 2007, 21:22.

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

My SBS server gets it DNS from a Firewall/Gateway at the first point of entry to our network. This uses our ISP DNS servers and is configured with a .com extension.

SBS handles our internal DNS and is configured with a .office extension. SBS also distributes DHCP to clients and all the gateway and dns settings. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the setup and we have never had routing problems.

So to get back to my question is there any point in configuring a 2nd connecter as a backup?

Thanks

brian

Comment

Brian,

Having another SMTP Connector that's using the same SMTP VS, and thus the same NIC, will not help in case something goes wrong with your Internet connection.

If the server won't be able to resolve DNS queries and to send email to the world by itself, why would it be able to "talk" via the same NIC, same IP, same connection, to the ISP's mail servers?

Also, after reading your DNS description I am not sure you're doing it right. Sorry. The serverr MUST have an internal DNS server configured in the TCP/IP properties, and not one from the ISP. Since the server is SBS, I assume it's the only server, thus the only one with DNS, thus I assume you MUST configure it to use ITSELF as the DNS server in the TCP/IP properties. Then in the DNS mgmt tool you CAN configure the ISP's DNS server as forwarder.

Sorry, that's the way it SHOULD be, and if you're doing it in any other way, you're doing it wrong.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks DaneilP.

The server is SBS and it uses its self as the internal DNS server. If I IPCONFIG a client the first DNS server is the SBS server. So I assume that this is correct.

Thanks for the input guys I have found the problem. The domain we are sending to is blocking us when sending using DNS. When I forward mail through the ISP mail server the mail gets through.

Thanks again

Comment

Brian,

Having another SMTP Connector that's using the same SMTP VS, and thus the same NIC, will not help in case something goes wrong with your Internet connection.

If the server won't be able to resolve DNS queries and to send email to the world by itself, why would it be able to "talk" via the same NIC, same IP, same connection...
                this was my point exactly. i guess i just didnt say it as smooth as you did...
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Daniel, can you elaborate on the correct DNS settings for an SBS2003 server with Exchange 2003 running on it? Currently the TCP/IP properties are configured manually with an internal IP address of 192.168.1.1. The router is 192.168.1.254. The DNS servers show up as opendns.com's DNS servers when I check it in TCP/IP status-details. That's how I have it set up in the TCP/IP properties. How would you recommend it? Where should I put the DNS forwarders? And what should I use there...OpenDNS, or my ISP's DNS?

Thanks

-Eli

Comment

Eli,

I've answers, twice, in this thread. If you really need me to, I will do it the third time. But for now, please read my previous answers.

BTW, thread moved to SBS forum, where it belongs.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                      Eli,

I've answers, twice, in this thread. If you really need me to, I will do it the third time. But for now, please read my previous answers.

BTW, thread moved to SBS forum, where it belongs.
                      I got it. Sorry for bothering you. I just couldn't find where to configure DNS Forwarding but I found it under server properties in DNS Management.

Thanks

Comment

And sorry to say that ALL of this conversation is redundant if you UTFW!. The Internet Connection Wizard sets up your SBS as the DNS with your ISP's DNS as forwarders. Use the DHCP from the SBS also and SWITCH OFF the DHCP on your router/gateway. Do NOT add your ISP's DNS to your clients as that will eventually cause problems if your SBS goes down - even though it may appear to give you back up, it will only work for a short while - even after your SBS is back up!
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                        X