Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 MMC Snap-In Error

Morning Guys,

I aggreed to take a look at a mates SBS server as he is getting the following error when attempting to open any MMC snap in form the Start Menu. The server is SBS 2003 (No SP1) This error seems to be happening everytime to attempt to open an MMC snaping (no matter which one. I googled a bit and I can't seem to find anything specific to that error message. most messages refer to some DLL requiring re-registering.

My question:

Should I tell him to reinstall the adminpak.msi from c:\windows\system32 in hope that it will re-register all the required DLL's or just tell him to upgrade to SP1? I dont really want to go messing around too much untill I get a chance to use SBS in anger.

Thanks

Michael
    Attached Files
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: SBS 2003 MMC Snap-In Error

Do you have about 10gb spare on your C: (System ) partition? If so get SP1 on there immediately if not sooner. Then MU that sucker!
    Otherwise get a good server partitioning tool and make the space available ASAP.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      MU
      ??

Cheers steven - I will advise accordingly?

Thanks

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

i would suggest SP1 or more as well, but in most cases a reinstall of the admin pack will fix any problems with MMC errors.

you can manually register the dlls yourself, but its just easier to do it by reinstalling the pack... as well as the exchange admin stuff if required.

not to sound rude, but is the account valid? hes not locked out, is he?

did you try rebooting? j/k...

james
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

James,

I've never actually touched the server yet

I know the account is not locked out and they have tried a reboot. There going to get in touch with the guys who used to do the support for them and find out:

a. Why this is not working as they have been paying for support and how were they performing the regular maintenance
          b. Why SP1 was not applied and what other patches are missing from this so called 'service' they were paying for.

Thanks for your comments.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            ??

Michael
            MU=Microsoft Update
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Never heard of that acronym for it.

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

You need to hang around SBSers more
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  You need to hang around SBSers more
                  But you'll need to bring your own bicycle to keep up.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    But you'll need to bring your own bicycle to keep up.
                    Now MY turn for an explanation, please
                    TIA

sigpic

Comment

Don't you remember the bicycle ride movie with your fellow SBSers.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'd hate for anyone to forget...
                        http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=19
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OMG - my past comes to haunt me!
                          But I fear we are geting somewhat OT with this thread so it's time to call a halt!
                          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X