No announcement yet.

Migrating SBS 2003 to Windows 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating SBS 2003 to Windows 2003

Hi there
    I am looking to migrate my current Windows 2003 SBS server onto a new server and Windows 2003 Server platform. I want to avoid having to create a new domain and having to transfer client pcs onto the new domain and copying the profiles etc.
    Is anyone aware if there are any restrictions in making the new Windows 2003 server a member of the SBS server domain and then doing a dcpromo to promote it to a domain controller and finally demoting the SBS server to a member server and then phasing it out?

Any advise or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Migrating SBS 2003 to Windows 2003

Take a look at which does cover (among other things) a couple of ways to do the migration of SBS2003 to Server 2003.

However, the link on that page isn't quite as useful as this one.

One other thing to bear in mind is that you lose all your passwords in the process.
    Best wishes,
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Migrating SBS 2003 to Windows 2003

You can do as you say, but remembr to seize the FSMO roles to your new server and to clean up the SBS server from AD as if it had died and was never to come back online (I think there are problems with DCPROMO to demote SBS)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.