Remote Desktop in safe mode

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop in safe mode

Hi All:

My first post but probably not my last.

I have SBS 2003 on a machine that is using Panda Anti-virus / anti-spam. It is not working properly. Their tech support said that I need to replace a file with one that they sent me. The problem is that it is in use. Their answer was to boot in safe mode. The problem is that I only have remote access through RDC to the server. If I run msconfig and set it to boot up in safe mode with network will I be able to access it with RDC.

I tried disabling all Panda services and startup items then rebooting but the file is still locked.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Re: Remote Desktop in safe mode

You could give Unlocker a try.
    It's a free utility.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Although in Safe Mode with Networking the Terminal Servces service does start (which I wasn't expecting! But I tried it out to make certain), I could not subsequently connect to my SBS2003 server using RDP when the server was running in safe mode. The failure to connect may, I suppose, be some other issue, but I'd suggest you try JeremyW's suggestion because I think to rely on RDP when your server is in Safe Mode with Networking is way too risky.
      Best wishes,
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Jeremy, Unlocker may work but is risky as there is a reason files get locked.

I would try MoveFile from the almighty Sysinternal people.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan