Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Free Disk Space Alert for a volume that doesn't exist

Hi,

I have a client with an SBS 2003 box and I am receiving emails that say there is zero space left on HardDiskVolume10 but all his drives have plenty of free space and he doesn't have that many drives.
    The following disk is low on free disk space. Low levels of free disk space can cause performance problems and prevent users from saving files on the disk.

Drive Letter: HarddiskVolume10
    Free Disk Space: 0.000000. MB
    % Free Disk Space: 0.000000.%

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.
    All I can do is lower the space alert from 500MB to zero which I don't want to do - I don't know how to disable this alert only for volume10.

His server has 1 hard disk, partitioned C: and D: and he also has an external USB Lacie hard drive plugged in as well. Where does SBS get the notion that there is a HardDiskVolume10 from? And why would it believe that there is zero space left on it? Is there a way to stop receiving these emails, without switching off this alert completely (I'd like to know if there is a genuine lack of space in the future if it arises).

Here's a screenshot of the situation to help explain:

Thanks for your ideas
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Low Free Disk Space Alert for a volume that doesn't exist

I had this problem. It was caused by USB drives that I was using for backups. You can change the alert to monitor specific drives by volume with the following instructions here:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8d4f74a680f43f

Its a couple posts down by Owen Williams, about midway through his post.

Comment

That's perfect - thanks so much.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

Glad I could finally help someone rather than just ask questions all day.

Comment

Just an added note: When you remove a usb external drive or something of that nature, make sure you do it properly by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, noRulez43, it's something I always do myself, but when we allow customers to touch their computers, things start to go wrong

What I need to know, because I can't guarantee the customer will do a safe removal, is whether I should disable write caching on that disk to improve the safety of removal. As I see it, unsafe removal is a problem because of uncommitted writes, so if write caching was disabled, he could "forget" to obey my instructions for safe removal and his writes would be committed.

What do you think?
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

You could you the utility called Devcon available here:
              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
              along with scheduled tasks to run a batch which will allow people to remove USB backup drives without logging on to the server.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

That's really useful - thanks a lot.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                X