Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCSI Adapter stops respondig on SBS2003 - "did not respond within the timeout period"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCSI Adapter stops respondig on SBS2003 - "did not respond within the timeout period"

HI.
    I have a client with a strange issue.
    Intel's Entry Server Board with P4
    2GB RAM
    ADAPTEC SATA Raid
    LSI SCSI for TAPE (the issue)
    TAPE - Tandberg data 200/400GB
    After unknown period of time (hours maybe a week), I got a message in Event that says "The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period." Event ID 9. There is a backup tape (Tandberg 200/400 GB) connected to the device, if the message in event appears during the backup process, 5 seconds later a backup program (ARCServe 11.5) says in it's event that "Windows NT SCSI PORT Error", the backup later fail, the tape goes offline.At the next scheduled time the backup job wouldn't start. The same happens when the tape goes offline in the idle time (between backup jobs).
    The strangest thing is when I restart the server the Tape would not be found in the Device manager, only after the Shutdown, the tape returns (discovered)
    At first I have changed the cable, later the scsi adapter and the tape itself.
    All this didn't help, I found an article in Microsoft's site about the plug 'n play device, this can be caused by the System and interrupt the device, so I disabled it from the registry, later Found something closer about the Timeout, Found another article how to change the default timeout period for the adapter respond.
    And again, nothing helped.
    Any Ideas!

Re: SCSI Adapter stops respondig on SBS2003 - "did not respond within the timeout per

Couple of things to try.
    • Contact Tandberg for a testing utillity that will test all the functions/communications of your drive.
    • In device manager, show hidden installed hardware and remove old entries of that drive from there.
    • Update the driver/firmware.

CA also acknowledges the problem though i cannot quite figure out where the "solution" is, though it is listed as "confirmed"

"E6300 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error" happens when starting tape engine
    if the system has LSI Logic LSI 20320-R adaptor and the driver symmpi.sys
    version is 1.10.02.0.
    This problem happens after applying SP1.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've saidĒ - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Re: SCSI Adapter stops respondig on SBS2003 - "did not respond within the timeout per

Check the SCSI termination. And find a utilty that will test it.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X