Continue installation problem in OEM W2003 SBS SP1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue installation problem in OEM W2003 SBS SP1

Scenario: Server DELL Power Edge 2800 with installed OEM Windows Server 2003 SBS Version 5.2 - build 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447: service pack 1).
    I have installed only Windows 2003 server S.O., after this installation I didn't continue the installation of further application like: Outlook Office 2003, Exchange Server 2003, etc ...
    But I saw that automatically there were installed Microsoft SQL server and Windows Share Point Service.
    Now, I have needed to install Exchange Server 2003, but if I click on "continue installation" server desktop icon, I see an windows error that informs me: "impossible to update this computer to Windows SBS OEM version.
    Question
    Is it a normally beviour of OEM SBS that alert me to reinstall all SBS?
    Example.
    Now I uninstall SQL Server on OEM SBS, if in the future I will decide to reinstall SQL Server, do I will reinstall all OEM Windows 2003 Server?
    Many thanks for your answers and collaboration.
    Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Re: Continue installation problem in OEM W2003 SBS SP1

I don't know what you have but I suggest if you don't yet have data on your computer, download the Dell ServerAssist boot the computer to run its automated setup. (Search the archives here and on the net for disk partitioning recommendations) then run the whole SBS (integrated) setup from beginning to end including Exchange Sharepoint etc, Then after you have run all the configuration wizards, turn off all the services you don't want/need - (Though I don't understand why anyone buys SBS and doesn't use Exchange!). There are also several MSDE and WMSDE instances installed by default so that parts of SBS work the way it was intended.

If you still have problems, come back here to ask, or call an expert, locally.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have yet data a lot of data and many applications load on the server.
      Reinstall the S.O. OEM SBS it means paralyzing for 2 days a company with 50 users and this I would like to avoid.
      The SBS buys has been first mistake, second mistake has been to believe OEM SBS modular system, where the application were installed on demand.
      Example: when I will need Exchange I will install and configure Exchange.
      Thanks for your answer.
      Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Which OEM told you that SBS is modular and install on demand? Any quick search of the net and Microsoft site would have told you otherwise.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Another question about SBS wonderful world!
          Now I must uninstall MS SQL Server on SBS because the company needs of an application that goes in conflict with SQL Server.
          Uninstalling MS SQL server on the server, in this way an hypotetical SQL reinstallation on the server will oblige the company to reinstall overall SBS.
          Alternatively don't uninstall SQL Server and acquire second server!
          I have made a mistake to consider SBS a good S.O., but there wont be a second time.
          Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Which application, may I ask, is in conflict w/ SQL Server?
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

The application is owner and it has been developed with MySQL Server
              Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Originally posted by amorrocchesi View Post
                The application is owner and it has been developed with MySQL Server
                Cordially.

Antonio Morrocchesi
                ????

Don't know what "owner" is.

And I'm finding it hard to believe MySQL and SQL Server can not co-exist.

You must have some information pointing you this way. Please post the link(s).
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Antonio

I don't know where you are getting your information from but SBS is a set of programs designed to serve a specific set of business needs. If you do not know where to get someone professional to help you with this (and I don't suggest DELL) who can tell how to install and that SQL server can be uninstalled, but not the MSDE instances. Also AFAIK MySQL can co-exist with SQL on many boxes so make sure you are getting the right advice there also.
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

The question is that there were a few mistakes to configure OEM Windows SBS.
                    First.
                    Dell vendor proposed OEM SBS instead W2K3 stadard edition.
                    Second.
                    A partial SBS installation, because there were urgent exigences of time and business.
                    Third.
                    The false conviction that OEM SBS was a modular S.O. that it allowed the SBS component on demand.
                    Now I'm finding to know, when many proprietary applications are installed on OEM SBS, and SBS reinstallation should be a great problem, if I can resolve the problem to continue installation of Exchange Server o other SBS applications.
                    Up to now on server with SBS wasn't installed Exchange Server because in the company there wasn't the specific demand.
                    Now all conditions are change and there the specific demand to install internal email server.
                    If, every time I need to install o uninstall SBS components, the only solution is to reinstall all SBS, I resolve the problem at the root: I will change S.O. !
                    Cordially.
                    Antonio Morrocchesi

Comment

Working...
                    X