SBS2003 and Open Value Subscription

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003 and Open Value Subscription

How do I grow the number of licenses on my SBS2003?

When I transferred to Open Value Subscription I was told that I could use any number of licenses and that every year, on the day of the transfer, the number of licenses would be modified to the actual number of active licenses. Thus our company can grow (or shrink) and the number of licenses would follow this.

We are growing. Fast. There are a lot of new users and while I can install as many Windows XP and Office 2003's as I please, the number of CAL's on the server remain the same - has anyone changed the number of CAL's on a SBS2003 with this license programme?

/A
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: SBS2003 and Open Value Subscription

Steven will be the best to answer this one but if I remember correctly, it has been stated that the Licensing option is SBS is a bit flakey and unreliable.

Anders, try searching this Forum for SBS Licensing and see if you find anything.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you are on OVS, then you declare annually your license requirements. However SBS still needs the "physical" CALS. You need to get the CAL license pack to install on SBS in SYStem Manager /Licensing
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Just to clear things up for anyone else that is searching for information about Open Value Subscription and Volume Licensing, this is how I did to purchase Windows SBS 2003 CAL's.

I purchased the Open Value Subscription licenses from a retailer, I then get a mail from MS where I am instructed to go to a webpage form and confirm the order of the licenses. After that I get a mail saying that the agreement is ready, then I get a welcome letter and a few days after the welcome letter I get the Order Confirmation - this is when the licenses are made available for me.

All the Volume License Product Keys that are available can be found at https://licensing.microsoft.com just sign in with the passport that you used to sign in and verify the order with MS. Since I bought Windows SBS 2003 CAL's they can be found listed there - notice that there are enough keys to activate all the 75 CAL's. This is because with Open Value Subscription you should be able to have a floating amount of activated licenses which is checked only once a year on the day of the agreement. This means that you can use more keys than you originally ordered if your company grows and adjust the licenses at a later time. Very smooth for a smaller upcoming company.

Microsoft has changed the way they handle the keys since they launched Vista and there are a few different versions available, Volume Activation 1.0 and 2.0 (VA 1.0, VA 2.0) and Multiple Activation Key (MAK). More about that here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/r...l/default.mspx

NOTICE THAT THE WAY THINGS WORK MAY BE DIFFERENT IN YOUR CONTRY.
        Always make sure how Microsoft handles licenses by calling a local retailer.

A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Thanks for that info Anders. It is appreciated.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X