DHCP server status: not connected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP server status: not connected

I am trying to get a new server/ lan setup. I was running a router with DHCP but when I try to connect a client to the domain via "http://servername/connectcomputer" I pulls up the server page and then I click on run wizard. At that point it tells me that it cannot find the list of computers and users on the server and that I need to make the server run the DHCP. The problem is that after i authorize the server in the DHCP snap in the status is "not connected"

I tried turning off the router's DHCP, and chainging the IP of the server but no luck. Is there a way to use the DHCP on the router or is the server the only option?

MS SBS 2003 R2

Re: DHCP server status: not connected

Originally posted by RYNOBIG View Post
    I am trying to get a new server/ lan setup. I was running a router with DHCP but when I try to connect a client to the domain via "http://servername/connectcomputer" I pulls up the server page and then I click on run wizard. At that point it tells me that it cannot find the list of computers and users on the server and that I need to make the server run the DHCP. The problem is that after i authorize the server in the DHCP snap in the status is "not connected"

I tried turning off the router's DHCP, and chainging the IP of the server but no luck. Is there a way to use the DHCP on the router or is the server the only option?

MS SBS 2003 R2

Did you use the wizard to set up and authorise your DHCP server? Apparently the ONLY way to get things done in SBS 2k3 is to use the wizards provided... and yes, I believe the only sensible way to use SBS2k3 is to have it do the DHCP and everything else.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

In any set-up where you have a Windows domain I would always use the servers implementation of DHCP than the router as it integrates with DNS and updates your IP address within DNS accordingly.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

which wizard sets up the DHCP?

Comment

Mmmm - you got me there!

TBH I've only briefly used SBS. I would have though it would set it up automatically when you create a domain. Is there no DHCP wizard in the server management snap-in?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            Mmmm - you got me there!

TBH I've only briefly used SBS. I would have though it would set it up automatically when you create a domain. Is there no DHCP wizard in the server management snap-in?

Michael

nope.

I might have to call in a professional...

Comment

nope.

I might have to call in a professional...
              Careful - we ARE all professionals... BUT - only SOME of us know SBS. Hopefully Teiger will be along soon; he will definitely know what to try.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

There is no wizard to set up DHCP. It should create itself automatically when you set up SBS. Can you go to Start>Administrative Tools>DHCP and look to see if your DHCP is "Authorized". If so, and if is has properly a properly defined Scope, all you have to do is re-run CEICW and make sure the IPs point to the SBS server. Can you post an ipconfig /all of the server and a client. Go ipconfig /all>ip.txt. It will create a text file in the folder you are in that you can post here on the forum. It will give us an idea of what needs to be adjusted. Make sure DHCP on the router is turned off.

Comment

Ok, will do, standby.

EDIT- Server ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SIAPPSERVER

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : sienergy.local

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : sienergy.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-08-44-26

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.7

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.168

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.7

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.168.7

It is strange, but the DNS is different on the clients... maybe the problem is there?

Last edited by RYNOBIG; 6th March 2007, 18:52.

Comment

Is 192.168.168.168 and 255.255.255.0 the default IP and subnet of your router?

Comment

Yes

I changed the Primary DNS on the client and am having better results. Lunch is calling so I'll let yall know what happens later.

Thanks for the help so far, this site seems like a good find.

Comment

On the client you might want to also do ipconfig /release ~ ipconfig /renew ~ ipconfig /flushdns

Comment

I changed the Primary DNS on the client and am having better results.
                          You should aim not to have set Primary DNS manually on the client, although it does help troubleshooting.

I agree that you should use the SBS DHCP instead of the router's - and there is a scope wizard: right-click the DHCP server, click New Scope, and then complete the New Scope Wizard. You should aim for the client not to have to have any manual settings, and so you can configure the SBS DHCP server to issue the correct DNS, whereas many routers issue the ISP's DNS when they are pushing out DHCP and these router DHCP servers aren't as configurable so you're often stuck with the DNS they decide to give out.
                          Best wishes,
                          PaulH.
                          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Ok well here's an update.

I all of the clients connected to the server (which was the poit of changing the DHCP to the server.) but the DHCP is still running through the router. The DHCP snap in still says the DHCP server is "not connected." here is the message I get:

I have doublr checked that the windows component "DHCP" was installed. Is there a place to start running the DHCP server before you start the snap in? I thought that the point of the snap in was to run the DHCP server.

Can't get to scope settings yet... server not connected.
                            Last edited by RYNOBIG; 7th March 2007, 18:58.

Comment

You need to Authorise the DHCP. Open up the dhcp snap in then right click the server and select "Authorize".

Also, things to note:
                              1. The DHCP server can, sometimes, stop if it detects another DHCP server on the LAN.
                              2. Check the DHCP service is running.
                              Best wishes,
                              PaulH.
                              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                              X