Cannot Access the network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Access the network

I have a SBS 2003 domain with all clients running winXp SP2. The network has been functioning fine until yesterday.

All of a sudden when I try to browse the network from the server I get the error "Xpa(which is the domain name) is not available. You may not have perission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to see if you have access perissions" It does not even show a single computer including itself.

I can ping all the the other computers and the Default Gateway from the server but cannot ping the server from any of the workstations. The workstations cannot ping each other either. I have tried changing the "restrict anonymous value from the registry but that did not solve the problem.

The server is also a Dns,DHCp and Wins Server. It has a static ip Address.
    All the clients are DHCP clients. They all have the correct IP addresses in the correct range and have the correct Subnet mask. Only the Server can connect to the Internet.

The network is wired through a 24 port switch and there are no routers.

kindly assist

Re: Cannot Access the network

Try turning off the firewall
    Scott [4m]

Comment

I have restarted some of the worstations and have noticed that they now give themselves Auto configuration IP Addresses after which I cannot ping them from the server anymore.

When I was trying to search what is going on I checked the DNS logs and found the following error message "The dns Server was unable to open zone msdcs.xpa.local in the Active Directory from the application Directory partition ForestDnsZones.xpa.local. This Dns Server is configured to obtain and use information from the Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it.Check that Active directory is functioning properly and reload the zone" I have also discoverd that the Computer Browser Service on the server has stopped. I tried restarting it but it stops as soon I start it.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Comment

Try dcdiag /fix from the Command Console. The Support tools need to be installed before you try running this tool.

If that doesn't work, run netdiag and dcdiag and post the results back attached in seperate TXT file. Reason for the txt attachments is the displayed results can get pretty long and results in a very long thread if posts are quoted.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by afrikaforever View Post
          I have restarted some of the worstations and have noticed that they now give themselves Auto configuration IP Addresses after which I cannot ping them from the server anymore.
          Are you talking about the reversionary addresses used when the DHCP server isn't answering? Something like 169.254.x.x?

Make sure (a) your DHCP service is running and working, and (b) that there isn't a fault on your switch. (You DO have a spare switch, right?)

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yes I am refering to 169.x.x.x address and No I do not have a spare switch. But I do not think the switch is faulty because I can ping the Deafault gateway which has the same class address as the server(10.x.x.x) and when I gave one of the client pcs a statitic address of the same class I then could ping the server and the gateway but could not access the server.

I have downloaded and installed dcdiag and netdiag but when I try running them from the command prompt I get the error "DCdiag is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." What could be the problem.

Comment

Thanks to all you guys for the input and advice, more espacillay Biggles77 whose advice has sorted the problem for me.

Comment

You can actually thank M80Arm for that one. Same solution worked for me, so a double thank you to Michael.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X