No announcement yet.

PF usage way too high

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PF usage way too high

Shortly after installing SBS 2003 PE, fully patching it I noticed that the PF grew, and, grew, and continued to grow until it is slowing things down to a crawl. It is at 2.8GB currently. I have 2GB of RAM installed on a new Dell Xeon PE1900. We are not using exchange yet but have found the machine getting progressively very slow. Only 5 users, one v.small db (foxpro), and isa server.

task mgr has this to say:

PF usage: 2.81 GB
    cpu usage: 0%
    handles: 38572
    threads: 1354
    processes: 95

Commit Charge
    Total: 2956508
    Limit: 6134816
    Peak: 3035280

P Memory
    Total: 2096304
    Available: 161788
    System cache: 226052

K Memory
    Total: 101568
    paged: 58232
    nonpaged: 43696

Network load is <1% on either nic

Perfmon has this to say:

Top 5 Processes by Memory Usage

Process Name - ID Memory Usage

sqlservr - 556 516 MB
    svchost - 1984 314 MB
    w3wp - 5556 86 MB
    w3wp - 6796 78 MB
    w3wp - 5308 70 MB

Performance Summary

Performance Counters Today Last Month Rate of Growth
    Memory in use 2,194 MB 2,811 MB -22 %
    Free disk space (C 3,106 MB 5,639 MB -45 %
    Free disk space (D 41,719 MB 44,977 MB -7 %
    Busy disk time (0 C: D 21 % 10 % 119 %
    CPU Use (0) 4 % 2 % 68 %
    CPU Use (1) 3 % 2 % 28 %

I get the following error:

Allocated Memory 02/03/2007 12:45 AM 1
    A large amount of memory is committed to applications and processes. Consistently high memory usage can cause performance problems.

To determine which processes and applications are using the most memory, use Task Manager. Monitor the activity of these resources over a few days. If they continue to use a high level of memory and are less critical processes or services, try stopping and then restarting them.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

Can someone point me in the right direction???Please???

Re: PF usage way too high

Go back to task manager. Click on the processes tab and twice on the "Mem Usage"column header. This sorts the processes according to the most memory used to the least memory used. Which process is using the most memory? Is it SQLServer or SVCHost? If SQL server, what are you running in that process? SVCHost is a more generic process and to find out what is causing it to eat up memory you need to open a command line and run tasklist /SVC to see the actual processes running inside svchost.
    Having said all that, you usually find that it is normal for SBS to overrun its mamory size without any undue effect. Also that performance alert is pretty standard as you have not run any benchmarking to get that alert calibrated for your system.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: PF usage way too high

Hi Starbuck1 ~ that PF file really doesn't look that high. The sqlserv process seem seems high. There are some scripts that can set it to a more reaaonable level. Here are some articles ~