Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roaming issue

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me here. I have been trying to get the roaming profile to work on my network. My server runs on SBS 2003 and connects a several workstations to it.

I have followed the procedure or ways of doing this from the textbook. It works that i can login with my username that i just created on the server. I can also see the shared folder called "profiles" on the server and there is a folder after my account username there. That's good so far.

My question is this. Why does the folder that user exist on the local machine too? I saw this when i open the windows explore and went to C:\Documents and Settings. Is this normal? should we have the user folder on the server as well as on the local machine. My understanding is that the folder should exist only on the server where we declare the profile path such as "myfileserver\profiles\%username%", not on the local machine where the user logs on. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

It just looks funny that we're gonna have all these users folders created. I mean if we have 10 users that have logged on to the same machine, then we'll have 10 users folders sitting on the C:\Documents and Settings.

Thank you in advance

Re: roaming issue

That's what it does, sync the server and local copies.

You will get a directory locally for every user that logs on the machine.

If you have a ton of stuff in the profile, it will slow down logon / logoff times dramatically as it syncs w/ the server.

Here's an old article that explains what happens:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/arc....mspx?mfr=true
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

And, associates, what you're talking about is incredibly useful for laptop users. They can drive away from the office, and open up their laptops and still see all their documents (that are in their profiles). This works for Outlook on Exchange too - laptop users get to see all their emails and contacts even when away fromthe office - this is because of a local copy of the Outlook data file.

Magic.

If you do want to, you can use a GPO thus:
      Context: MACHINE

PolicyPath: Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles

Policy name: Delete cached copies of roaming profiles
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Even better for this is to use My Documents redirection. It's there in Server Management under Users if you UTFW it will create an appropriate Group Policy for you and all documents will be stored (AND BACKED UP!!!) with the server. It will also significantly reduce the login times if you do decide to use roaming profiles, since the docs are stored on the server and synched to the station. Only the deltas actually get transferred.
        So laptop users get to use those files when away from the LAN because they still all appear under My Documents - although they are actually an offline copy, which will synch when reconnecting to the LAN.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you, All for your supports

OK so it actually makes sense too that there are local and server copies. I guess my next question is that say you have 10 different users log into the same machine. This will result in getting 10 diff. copies, one for each users. I don't want other users to browse into someone else profile folder locally. For example, if michael logs onto the machine, i want only michael's profile folder visible to himself and he can't view anybody's profiles locally. I learnt that those users profile folders automatically created locally on the machine at the path of C:\Documents and Settings\

Thank you in advance

Comment

Don't make them local administrators on the computers - then they won't be able to see one another's profiles!
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Thank you Teiger for your reply.

I quote
              "Don't make them local administrators on the computers - then they won't be able to see one another's profiles!"

Is it possible for you to give me a bit more details as how to make sure they won't be able to see one another's profiles.

Because i tried this morning and it did not work.

This is what i did (please correct me if i'm wrong)
              I logged onto the machine with my user name. Then, in the windows explore, i expanded C:\Documents and Settings and i found my local profile with my name there. That's fine. I also saw some other users's profiles too there.

After this, i went to control panel, user accounts. At this stage, a user accounts dialog pop up and in the list, I saw my name there with "administrators"right. Then i changed it to "users".

Logged off and logged back in again. I still saw those users's profiles there at C:\Documents and Settings.

Did i do it in the right way?

Thank you in advance

Comment

Er, don't know, coz I never use that tool!
                One way to check: Rt-click on the Start button; if you get a menu item to open or explore All Users - then it doesn't work
                You can use My computer/Rt-click/manage/ local users and groups or, alternatively as I do, Start/Run/lusrmgr.msc
                Go to groups/administrator and remove from there anyone (usually domain user accounts) that you don't want to have local admin rights. Make sure, however to add them back in to another group, such as Power Users.

Be aware, however, some applications will not let you run them unless you are a local administrator (and there are a LOT of them out there).

<rant>
                Basically, it means that they are badly coded (see http://www.threatcode.com/) and they will be partially undone in VISTA.
                I think developers should be made to work on computers that have priveleges somewhere between User and Guest and with maximum RAM of 256Mb !
                </rant>
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by associates View Post

Logged off and logged back in again. I still saw those users's profiles there at C:\Documents and Settings.

Did i do it in the right way?

Thank you in advance
                  But even though you could see those folders, could you actually get into them and see their contents, files and all? By default, the only people who can get into a set of profile folders like these are: (1) Members of the Administrators group and (2) the User whose profile it is.

And yes, it is *jolly* annoying when programs won't run unless the user is an Administrator - making the user a "Power User" instead can help here, as teiger has mentioned.
                  Best wishes,
                  PaulH.
                  MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thank you PaulH and Teiger for your reply.

Paul, i did try to click on one of those folders and what happen was i got message "Access is denied" which is good. This means, users cannot access to other users's folder. But it'd be a lot better if they don't get to see other people's folder. They only see their folder. This is the ideal way.

I haven't tried what Teiger suggested me to but i will.

Thank you in advance

Comment

If you really want to make it work you should review Microsofts Best Practice on the subject - it's comprehensive and will give you an understanding of the Intelli Mirror concept.

Download and read this article: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Additional details which might answer any questions the article don't is found her: http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

It's important to understand the context of the concept to be able to configure shares with correct permissions, correct caching options, how to use group policies and how to use offline files with laptops.

Personally I've scripted the whole set up so I can use it every time I deployit to a site - no need to remember all the correct settings

I'll give you a few clues on how to do it the smarter way:

Always share resources with $ at the end (makes it a hidden share)
                      Use a single share for all redirected folders - for example Redirect$. As you know the folder redirection creates a folder underneeth %username%\<redirected folder>

Always use "Authenticated Users" with full access on the share permission and control your ACL via the NTFS security - more flexible and also a best practice.

You'll understand it when you read those articles, they're really good!

Cheers

/Rune

Comment

Working...
                      X