Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Administrator is denied to send using SMTP/POP3 configuration in outlook.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator is denied to send using SMTP/POP3 configuration in outlook.

Greetings!

I have a strange issue on SBS2003 server. All users are able to send mail using Outlook or other clients using standard POP3/SMTP configuration (with my outgoing server require authentication option checked) but I am not able to configure this with administrative account. I can get mail using POP3 but I am unable to send mail. I am always prompt to enter username and password. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Luka

Re: Administrator is denied to send using SMTP/POP3 configuration in outlook.

You imply that you are not using Exchange in SBS to send/receive your mail. Is that correct? Can you specify more details about what exactly you are doing and how it is set up?
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Delete the email accounts that you have set up and when you follow the Add new email account wizard, select the server type as "Microsoft Exchange Server" instead. That way, you won't be using POP3/SMTP on your Outlook client to receive & send mail.

All the email will be held centrally by the exchange server, so it's easier to back it all up for all users, and it will be held locally too (a local copy is held) so that when your laptop users open up their laptops while in hotels or deep sea diving (i.e. disconnected from the LAN), they can still see their emails and contacts. Also, people can use shared calendars... oh the list of advantages goes on and on.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Greetings again!

Thank you for your answers. No, the problem is that I am an external administrator. So I want to recieve administrators mails on some SBS servers located on some companyes I work for. So POP3 is working. I recieve reports every day but I am not able to send using administrative username and password (which works for POP3 connection). It is quite strange to me... Becouse I am able to send if I use some other username and password - for example if I create new user in SBS and use it's credentials...

And yes, in the company we are using Exchange and Outlook with all functionalities... I would like to use in this "old fashion way" only for geting reports on my personal computer at home...

Thanks again!
        Luka

Comment

So maybe it's because you can't relay through the SBS box unless you are properly part of the LAN and properly authenticated.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

But how it is possible that I am not able to do that only by using administrator account? I can do it using users account...

Strange stuff...

Comment

On reflection, I can see my previous post is a rather silly thought. I'll have to think harder...
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

Originally posted by vagant View Post
                Greetings again!

And yes, in the company we are using Exchange and Outlook with all functionalities... I would like to use in this "old fashion way" only for geting reports on my personal computer at home...

Thanks again!
                Luka
                Huh? You go into ADUC and create a Contact with your own e-mail address in it. Then you add the contact to the names that receives the reports.
                Alternatively, I use a distribution list for this. Monitoring is setup to send all reports to [email protected]<domain.tld>. Then I add/remove whichever users/contacts I require to the "alerts" distribution list.
                That way it is easier to manage.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X