Exchange / Outlook Shared Calendar Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange / Outlook Shared Calendar Problems

Hi, Ive been in exchange hell the last 4 days. I'm down to only 1 remaining issue. My Clients server was restored to the last backup which was a month old. I managed to finally get outlook to resync by deleting individual ost files.

The Problem that's left is none of the users are able to add items to shared Folders such as contacts or calendars. You can view items just fine but when saving you get this error: "The Item could not be saved in this folder. The folder has been deleted or moved or you do not have permission. Do you want to save a copy in the default folder for that item?"

I have tried to unsharing and re sharing folder with the same results. Does anyone have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

David

Re: Exchange / Outlook Shared Calendar Problems

4 thoughts:

Do the users have edit permissions on the shared folders? When in hell, it is easy to overlook the obvious, so sorry if this is trite.

Are the shared folders full? If they are too big, this error can occur.

I fixed some very wierd problems today by running scanost.exe (a close relative of scanpst.exe) on the client computers which by default is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

Can you create a new Contacts folder, share that and set permissions on it, then does that new folder work OK or not. If it does, move all the contacts over into it.

That's all I can think of at the moment... hope something helps then you can get out of hell soon.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

The only thing that worked was the creating new folder and sharing. All of the users also use server active sync with there PDA phones so I want to preserve the original folders at all costs if I can.

Is there a way to reset the mailbox permissions? It seems its something along those lines.

Thanks

David

Comment

If you rename the faulty Shared folder and create a new Shared folder (with the old one's original name), and copy all the contacts to it, would this course of action break the PDA setup that you have or would the PDAs see the newly created folder just as if it was the original because it's got the original name?

By renaming the old one first you're not deleting it so you can backtrack if you need to rename it back again.

I wouldn't know how to reset the permissions other than unsharing it then re-sharing it out again, which you have already done. But maybe there is a chance this could work after all, because you have now completed a scanost.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

I will try renaming and see if the calendars and contacts will still sync to the PDA. I have also tried reinstalling Exchange SP2 and also running scandisk. Same results there.

One of the Users has 2 computers wth outlook one has some of there missing contacts and Calendar items but its not resyncing the missing items with the server. Is there a way to force outlook to sync those items to the server without exporting, deleting the ose them importing?

Thanks again

David

Comment

Scanost.exe forces a resync - not something you would want to have to do regularly!
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Im trying to rename the folders but its not letting me on the default Calendar and default Contacts. The New ones can be renamed no problem

Comment

Don't let the title worry you - there is a workaround.
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831363
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Another way to rename default folders is, if you just happen to have an old edition of Windows95 hanging around (YES! Windows 95!) or Exchange 4.5 with the old Exchange client, fire it up (A Virtual PC will do for this) 'coz it WILL let you rename default folders, IIRC.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

It looks like it was only 2 accounts that were having this problem.
                    Its also the 2 accounts that Sync using the PDA's (That may be the cause). Anyway I decided to just export there data out, delete the account, Recreate the account then import the data back in.

I fixes one account. I will do the other later in the week.

Thanks for your help

David

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. Hell is but a dim and distant memory fading into the background...
                      Best wishes,
                      PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                      X