Slower workstations after SBS implementation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower workstations after SBS implementation

We've gone from having a XP Workstation just acting as a file share to an SBS server. Since the change all of the workstations on the network are notably slower. The server hardware is a quad core with 2GB. There's about 17 workstations connecting. The setup is as follows:

ADSL Router – 192.168.0.1

--100Mbps--

Server NIC1 – 192.168.0.3 (Gateway – 192.168.0.1, DNS – 192.168.16.2)

Server NIC2 – 192.168.16.2 (Gateway – blank, DNS – 192.168.16.2, DNS Forwarding set to ISP IP’s)

--1000Mbps--

Gigabit switch (Netgear, unmanaged)

--100Mbps--

Workstations (DHCP) – 192.168.16.X (Gateway – 192.168.16.2, DNS – 192.168.16.2)

They just seem slower in general operation, open/save dialogs which go to the server are sluggish and Outlook is sluggish which generally effects the whole workstation responsiveness. Internet speed is fine on all PCs, just general network speed is down. I've checked out the performance logs and it barely seems like the server is being touched in terms of resources so I'm wondering if it's a configuration error on my part. Any clues?

Re: Slower workstations after SBS implementation

Check the workstations for excess CPU usage. I have a network that recently was being badly slowed down by the Helpsvc.exe service. This was supposed to be fixed in SP2 but not in all cases. MS does have a fix for it but you need to request it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839017

Once the service was disabled on the laptop, the network speed returned to normal.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nope, nothing, the CPU's are pretty much sat idle whilst working. It's certainly a strange one.

Comment

When you say the network is slower, what exactly do you mean? Is it slower at specific times, when a certain application is running, is it all machines that are running slower, is it just during logon, etc etc. Need details.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, the biggest culprits are Outlook and file open/save dialogs which navigate to the server.

Composing a new email for example which was once instant there's now a 10-15 second delay. Same with navigating folders, open a folder and there's a 4-8 second delay before the contents appear (this is specific to opening a file with the file open/save dialog in office apps).

There's also a common ground with the slowest ones, about 6 workstations were upgraded to XP Pro as opposed to everything else which was just XP Pro already, they seem to have been hit the hardest.

Comment

How did you join the clients to the SBS server?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you got/put either Google Desktop or Live Search on your desktops? There is an issue where they either index the network drives or try to index the whole Exchange Database, which could slow everything down a bit.
              Alternatively, if it is just Outlook, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325930 might answer...
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The connectcomputer application was used, the one instigated from a browser.

Comment

I see that you posted a summary of your ipconfig. Can you post the actual whole ipconfig/all from the server and a client? You can do and ipconfig /all > ip.txt and it will create a text file that you can post.
                  Last edited by biggles77; 4th March 2007, 01:38. Reason: Insert space between config and forward slash.

Comment

My apologies Stan. I edited your post to put the space between the config and forward slash. Always thought the space was needed. Another new thing learnt today.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I know what you mean. I was surprised the day I learned it would work either way

Comment

I've attached two ipconfigs. One for a typical workstation and one for the server. I noticed on quite a few machines svchost.exe is hogging a lot of CPU time, process explorer indicates that it's windows update utilising all of the processor time. I'm wondering if there's something configured incorrectly with WSUS to cause this.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Some ppl have had good luck with this ~

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494/

Here is some more reading ~

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-too-much.aspx
                          Last edited by BigStan; 7th March 2007, 14:35.

Comment

Right, regarding the svchost issue. Here is what I did.

Isolate the problem by keeping up a task manager on the PCs affected. Every time it would get bogged down I'd look to see what processes were eating up memory. well, it was a svchost so I wrote down the process ID, and did a tasklist /svc in dos to figure out what was in that svchost group. I eventually caught on that it was probably wuauserv.

Next, I separated out wuauserv into it's own svchost by issuing the following command:

config sc wuauserv type= own <--with that spacing!

Then you can use process explorer (download from ms) to set the priority for that task lower.

I hope this helps if this was your problem.

Comment

Looking at more PCs shows that the windows update process within svchost is hogging CPU. I applied the hotfix and it made no difference. I'm tempted to just turn off/remove WSUS and have the workstation just do regular Windows updates.

noRulez43, typing config sc wuauserv type= own in the command prompt doesn't do anything. Google reveals it's "sc config wuauserv type= own"

Anyway, after doing that and setting the priority to below normal how can you automate that? Surely it resets on startup.

Comment

Working...
                              X