No announcement yet.

SBS2003R2 Cannot install monitoring service

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2003R2 Cannot install monitoring service

I am trying to install SBS2003R2 Premium on a completely clean machine (HP d530 1.5Gb RAM 125 GB HD) without success. All appears to go as it should but at the end of the basic installation there is an error "SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 could not be installed. Re run setup."

When I start setup again, it shows that the monitoring service has not been installed, and the problem is still there when setup finishes.

There is an error in the setup log saying sbswmi.exe could not be copied to the temp folder, which is repeated each time I run setup.

Reformatting and starting from scratch always ends up with the same errors.

I am using the iso images from MSDN.

Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kavsak; 22nd February 2007, 09:32. Reason: Bad formatting

Re: SBS2003R2 Cannot install monitoring service

Could it be that your iso image is corrupt? I thought that SBS 2003 R2 Premium came with SQL 2005 Workgroup Ed., not 2000...?

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: SBS2003R2 Cannot install monitoring service

Absolutely! Spot On, JeremyW.
      Looks like you've got your images crossed there. And in anycase the monitoring Instance of MSDE cannot be upgraded to full SQL server if that is what you are trying to do. Read the release notes on the Premium Install disk for more details.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.