SBS Clients "No longer connected..." Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Clients "No longer connected..." Issue

My clients keep getting sync messages saying they are no longer connected to the SBS server. But when I tell then to sink they sync just fine. I can not seem to isolate why this is happening. No errors in the server logs and CPU utilization is low.

As a test, I added a new machine using the wizard and within just a few minutes it started experiencing the same symptoms.

Any ideas?

System:
    -------------------
    SBS 2003 R2
    WinXP SP2 clients
    All gigabit network
    SBS on a 2.2ghz Intel
    CPU Utilization averages ~5%
    ~1GB free memory
    Over 70gb free on C:\
    Network load less then 2%
    David Casey CISSP/CISM/SnortCP | Sr. Security Analyst | SBS 2003 R2 | ISA 2006

Re: SBS Clients "No longer connected..." Issue

Hi ,

Are your clients are able to surf the internet from there machine....Check your DNS settings in server and client machine....

John

Comment

Which is there DHCP server? Their DNS? How many NICS in the server? Post an IPCONFIG /ALL from the server and one of the workstations.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

-------------------------------
        Client
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon
        Ethernet Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Server
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 NIC
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

DHCP, DNS, and WINS are all from the SBS server. Gateway is the router (Smoothwall FW). Both systems have dual NIC's but only one enabled in each.

Clients can access the Internet just fine. When they get the sync message it always says that the server is available to reconnect.

Load on the server is under 10%. Load on the firewall is less then 3%. Client load is under 1% (idol).

Thanks for any ideas...
        Last edited by Paladium; 28th February 2007, 01:28.

Comment

I would firstly remove the secondary DNS from the server so it only points to itself. Also make sure your ISP's DNS are entered as Forwarders on the SBS DNS.
          Also check your switch isn't having difficulties auto-negotiating the correct link speed - especially on the server.
          BTW is your AD domain name a routable internet name or an internal .local/.lan type address? (You only printed xxxxxxxxxx's)
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I will remove the secondary DNS entry.

I am currently forwarding DNS requests to the firewall from the server and allowing the firewall to do the forward to the ISP DNS servers. I will change the server to point directly to the ISP DNS servers.

The server is an internal .local domain only.

I will lock all the switch ports and NIC's to GIG speed.

May take me a few days to free up time to make the changes. I'll post the results of these changes sometime this coming weekend.

Thanks Teiger!

Comment

OK. I have made all the changes, as previously discussed, and still no change. As I type this, look through email, and various other normal activities, the computer has the little icon in the task tray saying that the server is available for reconnect.

Strange... Just can't figure it out.

Caveat: Its not impacting the user experience. Its just an irritating technical glitch that I wish to track down and kill.

DC

Comment

Are the Event Viewer Application or System logs on the client computers reporting errors when they can't connect?

Comment

Working...
                X