How to extend the boot partition in 2003 SBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to extend the boot partition in 2003 SBS

I have 2003 SBS server with a 120gb hard drive that is partitioned into two partitions. C contains the operating system, Lawpac,Legalsuite and MSSql 2000 and D is the central storage for all the Users. Now the system partition is filling up and I bought a new 400gb Seagate HDD . I want to move all the user data to the new HDD and then extend the C Drive on the old disk to encompass the whole drive.

The 120GB is a dynamic Disk.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Re: How to extend the boot partition in 2003 SBS

Could you do a little research on your own before you post here? Tell us what you have tried and not found, or where you are having difficulties. We all have "day jobs" and cant be expected to answer all your problems without you contributing yourself to the effort:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=SBS+E...x=&startPage=1
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Brings up this

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Comment

That links states:

You cannot extend a system volume, boot volume...
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yep which is something the OP would have picked up on if they decided to read it.

You honestly don't think i was going to spoon feed them did you.

Comment

I just have a general dislike for dynamic disks so I couldn't help but jump in. Sorry to foil your plan.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

A quick search led me to this site which is useful:

http://searchwincomputing.techtarget...126671,00.html
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.
              MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                I just have a general dislike for dynamic disks ...
                Hi Rick,

You know my never-ending curiosity by now, so may I ask what it is about dynamic disks that you don't like? I have yet to make up my mind about them so I'd be interested in your view. Thanks.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Hate to turn the OP's thread into a dynamic disk debate. If it turns that way, I'll weigh in on Monday. Shutting down now for a long weekend.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by afrikaforever View Post
                    I have 2003 SBS server with a 120gb hard drive that is partitioned into two partitions. C contains the operating system, Lawpac,Legalsuite and MSSql 2000 and D is the central storage for all the Users. Now the system partition is filling up and I bought a new 400gb Seagate HDD . I want to move all the user data to the new HDD and then extend the C Drive on the old disk to encompass the whole drive.

The 120GB is a dynamic Disk.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Ghost can do some partition size changes when you reimage, however you need to image from Dynamic to Dynamic. Dynamic to Basic won't work.

If you only have one HDD for each partition, then I would seriously suggest some sort of redundancy like RAID 1.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X