No announcement yet.

panic! server wont boot. raid1 failed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panic! server wont boot. raid1 failed!

Could you believe that both WD 500gb SATA hd died!? raid1!! NEVER get WD drives. Thanksfully i had the old drives (ibm scsci) lying around - and after a while the server was up again.

They just had 1 month old!!! both failed in the same day, minutes of difference.

Uff...now users have a mail difference of one month. This is a SBS 2003 r1.
    I have access to one of the WD drives (one died completely, and the other wont boot but chkdsk repaired things...). So as a secondary drive i have access to the ''server''...

Now, hard part, can i export as a pst, ost, you name it , the users exchange? so i could import to each box and therefore fill that month gap?

Hope im clear.
    thanks in advance.
    respect.

Re: panic! server wont boot. raid1 failed!

I'm not doubting one of your drives failed in what appears to be a huge event on your system. The second drive, as explained to be readable after chkdsk, indicates you haven't determined the root cause as of yet and your title is quite misleading.

What have you done? Recovered to one of these IBM drives? Backup was 1 month old? What prevented you from booting off the "good" WD? What prevents you from copying the Exchange DB, logs, etc. from the WD to the IBM?

Certainly appears to be a disaster recovery planning issue you needed to think about before but now that it has happened and 1 WD is readable, what should you do?

This is something none of us can be without. You always need to ask what is the cost to my org if I can't recover this data in X hours?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

it was quite dramatic.

The server was behaving goofy...so you had to hard reset it...then in the events i saw an adapatec error on one drive, so i unplugged it (to be play safe with the other working one) (thanks to raid1)...but i saw more errors with this 'working' disk too...
      At that time i had exchange errors (like could not mount information store) and horrible things. Events like never before. These Events were loaded with hate!
      Again, it went goofy, so hard reset...
      Later on i decided to open the adaptec app and puff! blue screen. Believe me, you dont ever want to see a blue screen of death.
      I restarted and...when windows were applying settings a window poped up:
      lsass.exe
      Security accounts manager init. failed because of the following error: Directory Service cannot start. Error status: 0xc00P02e1.

No good.
      I had to restart in: Directory server recovery mode. As sugested.
      At this point i was QUITE nervous.
      I followed a kb to test and recover AD database but i had nasty errors trying to recover them. When trying to copy a folder (just to backup it): cyclic redundancy error.

I decided to restart and make a chkdsk on the disks.
      One wouldnt even boot.

So i had the previous IBM 36gbs raid1 configuration and the scsci controler.
      The info on it was 1 month ago old...
      At least the server would run.
      And it did.
      And thanks to god.

Now the boxes synced with the server...and there is a gap, of one month...from january 16 to today.

I have access to this WD (the one in best shape) and i can access all info on it.

I could try to clone this WD to a new one...but it would me take ages to fix all the problems that were poping on it.

The question is; could i export the exchange database in this WD into separated users .pst files? I believe its too much to ask.

Thanks for your time for reading this.
      respect.

Comment

So you have the Jan 16 backup working on the IBM drive(s) and you have the chkdsked WD.

Have you considered copying the DB, log files, whatever over from the WD to the IBM (with Exchange down) and trying to bring it up?

I say this a disaster recovery defining moment for you because if this were Oracle or SQL Server, I know exactly what to copy over and could, within reason, bring the DB up current to just before the crash. I have the process documented in my DR plan. I'm not an Exchange guy. So what do you / should you do in a DR case like this?

A defining moment in your career I imagine.

Best of luck as tomorrow is a work day and I'm not seeing any Exchange experts jumping in to tell you what to copy from that WD.

EDIT: I'm guessing the title and the Forum isn't helping your Exchange issue.
        Last edited by rvalstar; 13th February 2007, 00:28.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by anibalin View Post
          Could you believe that both WD 500gb SATA hd died!? raid1!! NEVER get WD drives. Thanksfully i had the old drives (ibm scsci) lying around - and after a while the server was up again.

They just had 1 month old!!! both failed in the same day, minutes of difference.

Uff...now users have a mail difference of one month. This is a SBS 2003 r1.
          I have access to one of the WD drives (one died completely, and the other wont boot but chkdsk repaired things...). So as a secondary drive i have access to the ''server''...

Now, hard part, can i export as a pst, ost, you name it , the users exchange? so i could import to each box and therefore fill that month gap?

Hope im clear.
          thanks in advance.
          respect.
          Something else must be wrong. I've had loads of WD drives and had no issues with failures.

Have you tried a new RAID card???

Are you really sure both drives have failed??? With RAID 1 there only is one drive working at any one time. The other is just a replica of the main drive in the server. Did you try and move the card to the drive 0 slot??

Have you updated the cards BIOS or the MB BIOS and updated the drivers for the card??

Was the RAID card an onboard RAID??

There are loads of things you could try to get this backup and running with the correct dates, etc.

Why don't you have any good backups at less than one month old?? Not good business practice i'm afraid. If i let that happen at my work i would be shown the door in no uncertain way.

Comment

Are the old server/new server the same name, same IP and MOST IMPORTANT the same AD? If yes, then just clear out the existing MDBDATA on the"old" working IBM disks, (or back it up) and copy the "new" priv1 and pub1 from the WD disk to the MDBDATA directory. Start the infostore a couple of times.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi my friends, well i can breathe again.
              Before I turned on each box to log in into de 'new' (old) domain, i previously backed up the .ost of each box (just in case).
              After I synced all boxes there were a month gap missing.
              I spent a lot of hours last night....but I succeeded:
              I converted all the .ost to pst (which took like an hour per box) and then i imported them...and done.
              Uff...

@wullieb1_ the controller is an adapatec, is not onboard, Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1420SA. Its one month old too, as the wd drives.
              I took the WD drives out of the server to chkdsk them (and plugged in the onboard sata of a gigabyte mother) and, like I mentioned, one would run the chkdsk fine...(the one that wouldnt even boot anymore) and the other locks at 7%.

The backup were the scsi drives, the old ones. There is an external drive for backups too, and it was 1 month old (because i wanted to implement something better)...

Each box backups to the server, every Wednesday. To a user personal folder. Using syncback.

@teiger _ both servers were exactly the same. Just that one had one month old info on it. Thanks for the suggestion.

----
              Lessons learned.
              I believe raid1 is to be trusted to a certain level. For what you must have an image backup of the server, so you can wake up the server in no time. And also a windows backup in order to wake certain failed parts like AD or whatever.

Thanks for your time and support in this journey guys.

Comment

Re - backup: Belt, braces and safety pins are the order of the day.And Daily full backups where possible. You don't want to lose even a days data/e-mail.
                Exchange DB: In future, you could "automate"most of the procedure you did with ost/pst files with a utility called Exmerge.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

As for RAID 1, try and see if you can get HDDs from different batches. I have often seen the 2 drives with serial numbers just a few numbers apart. Once consecutive serial numbers.

Does the server have a UPS attached? I have seen power surges/spikes take out new drives. A good UPS removes that possibility.

Lastly, RAID is only a hardware redundency and not a backup solution. i would also echoing Steven's post on backups and adding that they also need to be tested. No good backing up every day for 6 months only to find the backup was incorrectly done, backup media was corrupted or dirty heads were writing spasmodic data.

Have a search on the forums for the lenght of life a tape has. You might be surprised. If you can't find it post back and I will have a look for you.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X