Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail problems after swing migration

Hi everyone

It has been a long weekend and ultimately painful. I aimed to complete a swing migration and nearly got all the way there, until I ran into two problems.

These 2 problems may be related. Anyway, on with the story:

1. I am migrating from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 Premium on a new server using Swing Migration.

2. The existing server runs Exchange, serves an ASP based webpage and also has SQL. We also run Outlook Web. The MX records are hosted by our external DNS provider and route to our external IP address.

The problems I am having are:

a) Can send but not receive external mail. Mail sent within the office/domain works fine. Mail sent to external addresses works fine.

b) Outlook Web is no working. When I type the address in, eg. mail.domain.com, it reverts to a default IIS webpage.

Any ideas where I may be going wrong? I know I should be googling and I have, but hoping some of you may have run into such problems before whilst migrating.

For now I have plugged the old server back in and everything is back to normal, so this says to me that my external DNS entries are fine.

Re: Mail problems after swing migration

UTFW:Have you run the CEICW wizard?
    What kind of "Swing Migration is this?" An official one from www.sbsmigration.com? If so, ping Jeff Middleton as that is part of what you paid for - his support and to tell you what is wrong!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Yes I did run the wizard and still no luck getting external mail to come through.

I have bought the official SBS swing migration pack so will drop Jeff a line, I was just hoping it was going to be something glaringly obvious.

Comment

Guys - where in SBS would I check to see what network settings Exchange is using to send/receive mail ? I am thinking if I replicate the settings between the old and new servers, everything will work as it should.

Currently, the old server only has 1 network connection specified, which uses itself as the DNS server and the firewall's internal address for the gateway. I set this up on the new server, I could connect to the internet and send mail, but could not receive mail.

Any help appreciated.

Mat

Comment

Try telnetting to the server on port 25 from both inside and outside your network. See if it is an internal (Exchange) problem or a settings problem.
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Will try that once I put the server back online.

One thing, when I used the ICW, it asked for my ISP's DNS settings, which I put in. The thing is, I don't think the ICW was ever run on the current (old) server. I looked at the config.vbs file but it does not seem to have any settings in there.

Is there anywhere else I can look?

Comment

Look for Forwarders in your DNS properties.
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Do you have more than one network card installed in the new unit...?

Apologies if possibly stating the obvious for you, but if you are using a router/firewall, have you changed the port forwarding or similar of inbound port 25 to point to the new server?

LAN side of your domain, you may need to add a DNS entry, as suggested to resolve mail.domain.com...? (Post back if you need a talk through how to do this - You may need to add another zone in Forwarders for your .com domain...?!)

Sorry if too brief or no longer relevant....!

PJS

Comment

Working...
                X