mcafee causing sbs 2003 r2 to crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcafee causing sbs 2003 r2 to crash

I recently installed Mcafee Total Protection for small business on all my client PCs as well as my server (Dell Poweredge 2900). When I came in the morning after, the server had blue screened with a stop error and of course no one could get on the system. In my haste to get everything back up and running, I didn't write down the stop error. I rebooted and everything was fine for a while until it crashed and again I mistakenly did not write down the stop error code. Well, I finally turned off the mcafee services knowing that it must be the culprit as I had just installed it. It hasn't crashed since. So, here is my question. I can't find anything in the logs about the crash, so do I start the services up again and wait for it to crash and write everything down? One thing I'm very worried about is that it'll cripple the system. That's one thing I don't want to deal with. Are there known issues with anti virus causing sbs to crash? Is it possibly checking files that it shouldn't? Any info would be greatly appreciated as well as advice. If more info is needed, let me know.

Re: mcafee causing sbs 2003 r2 to crash

I take it you have run chkdsk on all your server drives.

I'm not thinking this AV will "cripple" your system such that it can't come back up.

What AV solution did you have on the server prior to this?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Does the System Log in Event Viewer contain an entry with the STOP error? Do you have a dump set in your Startup and Recovery settings? At worst, set it to do a 64K Minidump and send it to me if needs.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
        Does the System Log in Event Viewer contain an entry with the STOP error? Do you have a dump set in your Startup and Recovery settings? At worst, set it to do a 64K Minidump and send it to me if needs.

They're set to send an administrative alert and restart automatically but it does neither of those. It gets caught on the blue screen. I have to physically turn the server off and back on again.

I'll probably wait until the weekend to do it again. That way no one is on when it crashes. It's set to do a kernel dump.
        Last edited by noRulez43; 6th February 2007, 20:54.

Comment

That's what you get for using McRapee
          Seriously though, I gave up on them about 5 years ago when they appeared to stop taking the SMB space seriously.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43 View Post
            They're set to send an administrative alert and restart automatically but it does neither of those. It gets caught on the blue screen. I have to physically turn the server off and back on again.
            Change from kernel to mini dump please: Start\Settings\Control Panel\Advanced\Startup and Recovery\Settings\System Failure\Write debugging information\Small memory dump (64 KB)

Even with everything set up correctly, it won't necessarily write the file depending on how it BSOD's. I suggest you take a pict (digital camera) of the next BSOD. Easiest way to capture that (if you can have cameras at your workplace).

And once again,

I take it you have run chkdsk on all your server drives.

What AV solution did you have on the server prior to this?
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

What would you suggest for the server? The McAfee product works great for the client pc's so I want to keep that going.

Comment

What would you suggest for the server? The McAfee product works great for the client pc's so I want to keep that going.
                Most of the sites where I'm involved still us old McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8 which helps to confirm Teiger's point in a round-about-way as folks are not upgrading. Upgrade costs are not an issue for these clients.

So what is current SOA re: Server AV?
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

OK, I just set it to do a small memory dump and I can take a pic of it when it happens. I'll still probably wait until Friday to do it though. To answer your other question, it's always had mcafee on it since it was hooked up to the net anyway. I went through a long period of time setting it up, then I had problems with backup exec causing the system to BSOD(an update of the software stopped that). It's been a long battle trying to stop these BSOD's. I will also run chkdsk on all my drives and see what comes up as well. I'll probably check the memory as well just in case.

Comment

OK, I just set it to do a small memory dump and I can take a pic of it when it happens. I'll still probably wait until Friday to do it though. To answer your other question, it's always had mcafee on it since it was hooked up to the net anyway. I went through a long period of time setting it up, then I had problems with backup exec causing the system to BSOD(an update of the software stopped that). It's been a long battle trying to stop these BSOD's. I will also run chkdsk on all my drives and see what comes up as well. I'll probably check the memory as well just in case.
                    For weird BSOD's, it's always wise to run memtest86 for as long a window as you can (12 - 24 hrs) just to eliminate that possibility. ECC will not necessarily save you if memory is flaky (underrated for bus speed, settings). You will be down while running memtest86, of course.
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by noRulez43
                      What would you suggest for the server?
                      He, is using this. http://forums.petri.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=17

Whole thread. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12783
                      Last edited by biggles77; 7th February 2007, 15:56. Reason: To make it clearer what I was on about. (Ta Rick)
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X