Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor internet responsiveness on server and clients

Internet setup as follows:

ADSL Router -> Network Card 1 -> Server 2003 -> Network Card 2 -> Switch -> Client PCs

We're regulary getting 404's and time outs along with a lot of pictures not being shown, in addition it's simply not very responsive. You type in www.google.com into the address bar and hit enter and it'll take about 10 seconds before it even starts to load.

Anyone come across this before?

Re: Poor internet responsiveness on server and clients

Is this an SBS server you have or just 2003 standard?

Also need lots more info about what is installed on your server, ISA, Firewalls, malware, virii, etc, etc
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yeah, I thought it was a bit vague.

Previously the internet was configured on an XP machine and just shared across the network with ICS, the internet was fine then. We're using SBS Standard, no ISA, we're using RRAS.

IP address of the network card connected to the ADSL Router is 192.168.0.3, IP of the network card connected to the switch is 192.168.16.2 with the client IPs being a derivative of that (192.168.16.x). I can't quite remember off hand but I believe the client PCs use 192.168.16.2 as both the gateway and the DNS.

This is all first time round for me so forgive me if I've made some pathetic mistakes.

Comment

Sounds OK to me. Make sure that the Server itself has NO default Gateway on the internal NIC and that the forwarders in DNS are those that the ISP gave you and he hasn't changed them. Alternatively leave them blank - and let the server use root servers.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'll check if there's a gateway on the internal NIC, as well as the DNS. I know I didn't get my ISP DNS addresses, I'd have to be on hold for hours to get through to anyone at BT who could give me any decent info, I don't suppose there's another way to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla View Post
            at BT ... I don't suppose there's another way to find out.
            Er you do have an Internet connection of somesort, don't you

Quick search by Goo.., er sorry, your favourite search engine:
            here's a couple of BT DNS server addresses:
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              Er you do have an Internet connection of somesort, don't you

Quick search by Goo.., er sorry, your favourite search engine:
              here's a couple of BT DNS server addresses:
              Yeah, that was the first thing I done after I posted, sorry. I've got a list of quite a few BT DNS addresses, I'll give it a try tomorrow when I go back into work. Another sickie day today...

Comment

Setting up DNS forwarding with BT servers fixed it Cheers

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                  UTFW note: If you use the Internet connection wizard, one ofthe first things it asks you for are the ISP DNS settings.this then sets up the DNS forwarders for you.
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X