Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server monitoring

Hello!

Since this forums are good and very useful I would just want to ask, if you can recommend me a server monitoring tool, that would monitor;
    1. server uptime
    2. all services
    3. whenever server shuts down I would like to recive a mail
    4. whenever service stops or hangs I need to recive mail
    5. most important is exchange - if goes down I really need the mail that is offline
    6. disk monitoring - low disk space -> I get the mail

Thanks for your answers!

Re: Server monitoring

It is called SBS Monitoring. UTFW!
    Only problem is getting mail when Exchange is down!
    ;>)
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I have this and I don`t like it

Any other software that I will be able to install on different PC and monitor company server?

Comment

What don't you like? the price? Try MOM, Level Platforms, Quest or any 3rd party monitoring platform and you'll probably get sticker shock!
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

huh I just need names of programs which do all this...

Then I will test them and use WITH SBS integrated monitoring...

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks anyway, I solved the problem..

My next question is, how to monitor my WEB sites?

I need to know when HTTP, DNS, FTP, POP3, SMTP are down...

For example if FTP server goes down, I would like to recive mail, that it went down...

Thanks!

Comment

Just a curiosity question. Do you have Google in your country of residence?
              http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gregaSLO View Post
                I need to know when HTTP, DNS, FTP, POP3, SMTP are down...

For example if FTP server goes down, I would like to recive mail, that it went down...

Thanks!
                Alert on <SBServer> at 07/02/2007 10:32:41

The server failed to complete 2.000000. print jobs.

This error commonly occurs when the printer runs out of paper or becomes jammed. If this happens, clear the problem at the printer, and then restart the print job.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

----------------------------------------------------------

Alert on <SBServer> at 06/02/2007 19:45:58

The server restarted. If this event was not planned, check the Server Performance Report and Event Logs for information that can help explain the event.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

Alert on <SBServer> at 27/09/2006 21:31:09

W3SVC service is Stopped.

This service provides Web connectivity and administration through the Internet Information Services snap-in.

For more information about this event, see the event logs on the server computer. You can restart this service by using the View Services task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

You can disable this alert by using the Change Alert Notifications task.

Now either I am being incredibly thick and not understanding what you want, or you really need to learn what is in the default Monitoring and Reporting that is built in!
                TIA

sigpic

Comment

huh I just need names of programs which do all this...

Then I will test them and use WITH SBS integrated monitoring...

Thanks!
                  I'll just add the links for you. Go ahead and click on the blue, large words in the teiger quote.
                  Originally posted by teiger View Post
                  What don't you like? the price? Try MOM, Level Platforms, Quest or any 3rd party monitoring platform and you'll probably get sticker shock!
                  But, like Steven said, you can probably get what you're looking for from SBS's built-in functionality.

Thanks anyway, I solved the problem..
                  Would you mind sharing how you solved the problem?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

huh so far I solved it with .php, .asp, scripts...

Works fine, sends mail for every service that drops, sends me mail about disk, memory and CPU usage, iNET usage, warns me about high traffic...

What can a bunch of php and asp scripts do...

Comment

I have to say I'm not a great fan of using "server A" to monitor "server A", and to send a mail using the mail service on "server A" when something goes wrong with "Server A"!!!

What's wrong with using "Server B" to monitor "Server A" and using the SNMP Service to generate alerts which can then be forwarded to a paging service or SMS Messaging service? A LOT less complex and prone to failure than a whole email messaging service.

Tom
                      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

What's wrong is that most SMALL businesses don't have the time or resources to set up a second server to do monitoring unless it is super critical to them.
                        Have you documented every step you used to create your second server and all your .php scripts? Are you full-time employed on that site to be there if needed? Will you hand over what you have done to the person who comes after you in that business?
                        I find in my daily life that I get called to a small business site to solve a problem, and all of these non-standard solutions are a) not working and b) not documented. Also very often, c) critical to the business!
                        Since there is no documentation, all I can suggest to the business owner is to save all his data, rip out SBS and (via swing migration, of course) replace his SBS with a fresh install costing him for my time and his lost production.
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X