disk partitioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disk partitioning

i need to set win 2003 sbs r2 on brand new machine equipped with two CPUs, 4GB ram and two hard disks (cca 300GB each) that will work in mirror.

any suggestion on how many partitions to create and how big they should be is more than welcome.

regards

danac
    BL

Re: disk partitioning

Hi, Danac.

Seeing this is a Small Business server, I would make the system partition 30 GB, and then the rest as a single partition.

On non-SBS servers, I used to make a system, user, data and store partition, however the issue you will have on SBS is the exchange message store and all the default user file locations made by the wizards (like the redirected my documents).

Best to let SBS have a lot of space. I also checked out the install guides available to members at the excellent smallbizserver.net - a great resource site and the setup guides were invaluable.

Hope this helps,

Neil
    Neil Mac

Comment

There was a good discussion on partitioning here. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...t=partitioning

See what the SBS MVP suggests.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've been having the general discussion of many smaller partitions vs. few large ones since the days of DOS 3.x where all of a sudden we had 120 MB drives and folks were partitioning them into 4 x 30 MB. Problem came when you needed to install 5 MB of Word Perfect in the same directory and no one drive had 5 MB free.

Point is, let the OS manage the space (through directories). Don't create artificial boundaries unless you have a darn good reason.

If you have a number of separate disks at the hardware level, one could argue the merits of different RAID configurations in hardware. RAID in software, IMHO, always proves more problematic than separate partitions. But none of this affects the situation at hand.

Today, the darn good reason to have a 20-40 GB C: partition is the need to image (Ghost or equiv.) and recover said image. You don't want to be imaging all your data too. Plus it's often easiest to image from C: to your data drive vs. DVD-R, removable drive, networked share.

So it is generally a given to put the OS and software on a separate partition. Past that, there would need to be a strong case for any more partitions in the OP's 300 GB RAID1 scenario.

A while back I gave a rant on how I partition drives to make my Oracle tuning easier:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=12049

I am not an SBS guy so I don't know the finer points of managing disk space but, once again, I would contend if you can separate stuff into different directories, what is the benefit of creating extra partitions past having System (20-40 GB) and Data (the remainder), especially in this case with a single 300 GB RAID1 volume?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

well, thanx you all for quick responds and links. i read them and it is pretty simillar to what i thought will be.
          therefore, i decided to make them as follows:

1. system&programs partition - 25GB
          2. user home directories & software distribution partition - 40GB
          3. "common shared network drive" (departments home directories) - 80GB
          4. the rest

regards

danac
          BL

Comment

Originally posted by danac View Post
            well, thanx you all for quick responds and links. i read them and it is pretty simillar to what i thought will be.
            therefore, i decided to make them as follows:

1. system&programs partition - 25GB
            2. user home directories & software distribution partition - 40GB
            3. "common shared network drive" (departments home directories) - 80GB
            4. the rest

regards
            I'm still saying combining 2,3,4 into one partition with different root directories will give you much more flexibility over time. What happens when you need that 41st GB for a user / new piece of SW or that 81st GB for a department?

Let the system manage the space. Don't place artifical boundaries unless they buy yyou something.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
            X