Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Windows 2003 Server to Windows 2000 Server SBS

Hello,

I have a W2K SBS Server currently running (and well!) but I have recently had to add a second server (Windows 2003 Server) to our network to hand large images (basically a file respository).

I've configured the W2K3 Server to the network and all is working fine but I would like to join it to the W2K SBS domain so that I can take advantage of the user authentication. Each workstation will be required to access this second server so instead of creating seperate accounts, I'm hoping I can add this new server to the domain instead without to much "work". If I have to create seperate accounts on this box, than that is ok...

We plan on migrating our SBS server to Windows 2003 SBS but that isn't scheduled to the end of this year.

Notes:
    W2K SBS domain name "CompanyABC"
    W2K3 Server setup as a Workgroup (NOT DOMAIN) with the same name as the W2K SBS domain "CompanyABC".

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Cheers & Thanks!

Jim

Re: Adding Windows 2003 Server to Windows 2000 Server SBS

You should have no difficulty adding the second server to the SBS domain as a member server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks! I figured I could just join it to the domain, just like a reqular XP workstation but needed verification. Since this is all that I need to do, it will make my life much easier!!!

I'll joing the domain and then just add the permissions to the respective folders from the SBS server.

Cheers and thanks!!!

Jim

Comment

Remember in SBS you are better using the Wizard (UTFW) to add a computer to the domain - even if it is just a member server.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X