Best way to recreate a user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to recreate a user

One of the users on the network often trys out new software, and his profile is absolutely in a state, where he's uninstalled bits, and I personally think the app data is slowing it all down.

Seems the pc's crash a hell of a lot when he's logged on, I've tried the PC's and all fine on my profile.

However what is the best method to recreate him, i.e. to keep his exchange and security settings the same, but give him a new profile..

Cheers again

Re: Best way to recreate a user

Do you use roaming profiles?

If so just keep changing the roaming profile path within AD to:

\\<servername>\<sharename>\<username>1
    \\<servername>\<sharename>\<username>2
    etc

Or you could set him up with a test account i.e. <username>-t account and add this account to the required security groups etc

I think more info about your profile set-up would be good

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      Do you use roaming profiles?

If so just keep changing the roaming profile path within AD to:

\\<servername>\<sharename>\<username>1
      \\<servername>\<sharename>\<username>2
      etc

Or you could set him up with a test account i.e. <username>-t account and add this account to the required security groups etc

I think more info about your profile set-up would be good

Thanks

Michael
      If I was to do the above, then it would just move the problem to the new profile.

Dont use roaming profiles, rather we use redirected folders, i.e. mydocs.

What am after is how to effectivly have the exchange and security settings over to the new profile...

Comment

Are you on about a local profile?

You could just name his local profile so that when he logs on he get a new profile and then set-up his Exchange (Or whatever mail set-up you have)

What security settings are you talking about?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Are you on about a local profile?

You could just name his local profile so that when he logs on he get a new profile and then set-up his Exchange (Or whatever mail set-up you have)

What security settings are you talking about?

Michael
          security as in memberships... but of course, if i change the logon id, then it will recreate a new local profile... duh.... will give it a try. cheers fella

Comment

I am totally confised by whay you are requesting here, but one thing that can be done is to delete the user without deleting the mailbox. You can then crete a new user, delete the new mailbox created with that user and then reattach the old mailbox to the new user. You need to run the Mailbox Cleanup Agent to achieve that.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X