Cannot Log onto the network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Log onto the network

I have a small network with a 2003 SBS server running as the domain controller . It is also configured as a DNS server. The Domain has been functioning well until on Friday 19 December 2007 when the whole town lost its electricity supply. From then I cannot log onto the Domain with the error that "The system cannot log you on at the moment because the domain XPA is not available from the client computers. All the Workstations Run win xp pro Sp2. When I try to ping the server from the workstation I get The "Request timed out error". When I ping the loopback address on the server and it's own ip address which is statically assigned I get a reply but when I ping the other pcs I get the "Request Timed out" error. Also when I right click my network places and click on properties the properties dialog box does not open.

Kindly Help.

Re: Cannot Log onto the network

Originally posted by afrikaforever View Post
    I have a small network with a 2003 SBS server running as the domain controller . It is also configured as a DNS server. The Domain has been functioning well until on Friday 19 December 2007 when the whole town lost its electricity supply. From then I cannot log onto the Domain with the error that "The system cannot log you on at the moment because the domain XPA is not available from the client computers. All the Workstations Run win xp pro Sp2. When I try to ping the server from the workstation I get The "Request timed out error". When I ping the loopback address on the server and it's own ip address which is statically assigned I get a reply but when I ping the other pcs I get the "Request Timed out" error. Also when I right click my network places and click on properties the properties dialog box does not open.

Kindly Help.
    Sounds to me like something in your network got fried during the power cut. Is it simply a switch with everything plugged into it? Or do you have a more complex setup? Give us an idea of your network topology and we'll then be able to hazard a guess as to how to diagnose this.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

It is just a switch with everything just plugged in. The windows XP Pro Computers have DHCP assigned IP addresses and can ping each other execpt for the server. The Dhcp addresses are assigned by a DSL Router with a built in dhcp Server.

Hoping this clarifies the issue.

Thanks

Comment

It's a lot better yes... sounds like the switch port that the server is plugged into, OR the server's own NIC, got fried. Try the server in another switch port first... and if that doesn't work replace the NIC in the server.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Lets go back to basics.

Is eveything turned on after the powercut?? i.e server, switch??

Does the server have a network connection?? Can you do an ipconfig /all and post here.

Check if there is a link light on the servers NIC.

Try a different port on the switch for the server.

Are your Workstations getting an address in the correct range?? again do an ipconfig /all and post your results here.

Comment

It is not directly connected but there is a basic configuration error here. DHCP on your ADSL router should be turned OFF. All DHCP parameters should come from the SBS server and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, all stations should be pointing to the SBS AND ONLY THE SBS for DNS. Anything else and your stations will be looking to log in to AD over the Internet. Don't be surprised if they don't find it there!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

and after all that you can also try to give you server manual the ip...

maybe the switch DHCP scope has no free leases... or something else happend to the switch...
              so try manuall ip also

Yaniv F
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

The server has a static IP address and the workstations are getting Ip addresses in the correct range. A new twist is that when I booted into SAfe Mode with Networking All the Computers including the Server can ping each other and I can log on to the network but when I Go back to normal mode I get the same problem of being unable to log on or even ping the server. I think that might rule out the probability of a Nic or Switch Problem. Also when I booted back in Normal Mode the Server took about two hours on Applying Computer Settings. this makes me think it might be a Software Problem. Any suggestions?

Regards
                Last edited by afrikaforever; 25th January 2007, 08:19.

Comment

What are you seeing in the event log on the server? Errors and/or stuff (services, etc.) that post during and shortly after that 2 hour window.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Hello,

Can the workstations ping each other succesfully?

You need to try the following on the Server
                    • Ping the loop back address (that does not mean your NIC is functional but your TCP/IP suite is sucessfully installed)
                    • Ping your IP address.
                    • Ping a host on the LAN.
                    • Ping your defualt gateway.
                    • Ping a remote client.

Please tell us where is the problem occuring. Waiting your reply
                    Best regards,
                    Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

When I ping The loopback address and the Server own IP Address I get Reply from 127.0.0.1 and 10.10.1.1 response. When I ping other hosts on the network and the default gateway I get a "Request timed out " response. When I ping a remote host I get the same "Request timed out" response. Except for when I am in Safe Mode with Networking wherin I get the "reply from " RESPONSE WHEN I ping hosts on the local network and the default gateway.

Regards

Comment

Umm, that is quite mysterious.
                        • Can you use any client to ping the server?
                        • This server is not sitting behind any firewall?
                        • Did you try installing the drivers of the NIC and rebooting the server? (If this option is feasible)
                          If you can shut down the server, can you try replacing the NIC from any client PC and test?
                        Best regards,
                        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by afrikaforever View Post
                          When I ping The loopback address and the Server own IP Address I get Reply from 127.0.0.1 and 10.10.1.1 response. When I ping other hosts on the network and the default gateway I get a "Request timed out " response. When I ping a remote host I get the same "Request timed out" response. Except for when I am in Safe Mode with Networking wherin I get the "reply from " RESPONSE WHEN I ping hosts on the local network and the default gateway.

Regards
                          Can you post an IPCONFIG /ALL file from your server and 1 workstation here? On each of them open up a cmd window and run:
                          IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\IPCONFIG.TXT and attach the results here.
                          Also are all clocks/timezones synchronised on server and workstations. Finally, do you run a version of APC Powerchute software as it had an issue last year of it's Java machine timing out and not allowing SBS to come up for around 2 hours as you describe.
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi all

Sorry for delayed response I was out of the office to attend to a family crisis. The problem has eventually been solved. It would seem as if the proble was with the OS because I did a repair Installation of the OS and the problem was solved.

Thanks all for the assistance

Comment

So all the hardware and cabling was fine? Nothing fried and somehow the OS got corrupted? And CHKDSK, Eventvwr revealed nothing? Odd problem for sure.

Glad you found the solution. I'm guessing you are looking into a UPS.

Do remember to apply the latest service pack and security patches.
                              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X