SBS CAL question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS CAL question

It's a simple one and I'm just double checking, I'm in a pretty small company but we're outgrowing what we use as a server and are switching to SBS 2003. We'll have about 20 workstations connecting to the server and I want to double check the CALs I require.

First up I presume there's a reason the SBS CALs are more expensive (then OEM Server 2003 licenses, £75)? Something like they incorporate the Exchange CALs etc? Are these the correct ones?

Secondly, we have about 20 workstations, each unique to an employee, am I looking at User based CALs operating in Server mode as the best option? Does that mean 20 SBS CALs?

Cheers

Darryl

Re: SBS CAL question

First compare Apples to Apples. An SBS CAL is a Windows/Exchange/(SQL CAL if you have premium).
    Secondly, you get 5-CALs with your server, so you need an extra 15.
    Thirdly you have device or user CALs - no such thing as server mode. That means if one user has 3 devices which AUTHENTICATE to SBS you need one user CAL for him/her. If you have say a computer where 3 different people work inshifts round the clock, you need one device CAL for it. There are different SKU's for Device CALs and USER CALs. Make sure you get the ones you need ie the one's that match you requirements whilst givin you the best price.

Don't be surprised that the SBS doesn't count them properly during use, though.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

As it stands we're 1 user per computer, with a few users having a desktop and a laptop so User CALs are the best way to go for us.

What did you mean by "Don't be surprised that the SBS doesn't count them properly during use, though"?

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzla View Post
        What did you mean by "Don't be surprised that the SBS doesn't count them properly during use, though"?
        If you go to Server Management/Licensing you can see a value for Max. Usage
        It is rare that SBS gets that number correct as it has no way of accurately counting!
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Also IMHO OEM is not a good deal. It ties the license to the specific hardware. If you later want to change the hardware, or if it gets damaged or stolen, then you have to buy the license all over again. Better to buy a Volume license, which SBS by itself counts as getting you over the threshold, for approx 10% higher price and have the license "floatable"
          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger
            Also IMHO OEM is not a good deal. It ties the license to the specific hardware.
            Damn good point!! Would never have considered that. THANKS!!
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Don't get me started on my "I hate OEM" rant.
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X