No announcement yet.

help with quota limits

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with quota limits

I was wondering if i could get some help here. I have a network with 6 workstations and a server that runs on SBS 2003.

My question is related with the quota Entries for local disk (C for each of the clients.

Is is possible to reset or reduce the "Amount Used" for the workstations connected to the server? I mean I'm a bit nervous that the amount used will keep on growing for each users. Is this possible or we just have to keep increasing the quota limit once the amount used has reached the quota limit for users?

Thank you in advance

Re: help with quota limits

You can reduce the "amount used" by either taking ownership off the original user or by deleting files. Compression (except 3rd party e.g. WinZip) doesnt work

Maybe a group policy to stop users saving to the local machine would be your work around?

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Don't really understand your question as Quota Limits are for disk space on the server and do NOT relate to the amount of space used on the local C-drive. Also R2 edition has a different (better) mechanism for dealing with disk quotas - again on the server.

Can you elaborate?

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Maybe you mean disk quotas that are managed by a group policy, and they are to restrict the user to use his physical hard disk?

Please be aware of the following:

Disk Quotas are per parition and per user account. Meaning if you set up disk quota on a server to be 300 MB, each user has this quota on all the server paritions, meaning on each parition to be 300 MB.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **