Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 client workstation cannot access the internet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 client workstation cannot access the internet.

Hello everyone.
    It is my first time in this forum and I am pretty sure that this toping has been posted before.
    I came accross an answer to my question but didn't really help me.
    So here is my problems description.
    I am testing a SBS 2003 on a small office. I use two NIC cards.
    The external is connected on a wireless modem that runs a DHCP 192.168.0.1 range with an ip 192.168.0.10 and listens to an internal DNS that runs on the server with IP 192.168.16.2 ( the DNS forwards to the ISPs DNS).
    My internal NIC has an IP 192.168.16.2 which gets from the servers DHCP 192.168.16.1/24 its GATEWAY is "BLANK" and uses the local DNS 192.168.16.2.
    All my workstations are conected to the server through a 16 port switch.
    They use the 192.168.16.* IP their GATEWAY/DNS is "192.168.16.2".
    I run the ICW but it gives me an error message which I apologize I cannot remember now (but I will get it if needed it).
    My workstations can do nslookups but they cannot reach the internet.
    Can you walk me step by step through this process please cause I read many articles but to no avail.
    I will appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Re: SBS 2003 client workstation cannot access the internet.

I can already tell this is a difficult enough situation that you are going to have to draw us a little picture AND post the link that didn't help AND post the error message if we're going to get anywhere. Unless someone has had a close enough scenario that you get an "instant winner", which I doubt -- kind of like taking the umbrella so it doesn't rain, I'm tempting the Computer Gods to solve this quickly
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Is the Modem DHCP function disabled? Your post suggests it is active.

Can your workstations ping an address outside your local network?

Can you get outside the local network from the SBS machine?

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
        ...you are going to have to draw us a little picture AND post the link that didn't help AND post the error message if we're going to get anywhere.
        And please clarify what has the address 192.168.16.2 ( should be SBS) and what has 192.168.16.1 and why is it DHCP and not the SBS?
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X