Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power failure

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get some help here. First of all, forgive me if i have posted the following question to the wrong forum. I'm not sure if this is to do with hardware-related issue or software one. I have a server, HP Proliant ML 110, running on SBS 2003. Yesterday, we had a power interruption and caused the whole PCs on my network to shut down unexpectedly. I have a UPS that doesn't cope with too many PCs. The UPS only lasted for 2 minutes which is significantly inadequate to shut the server down safely. I'm more worried about the server since it's got all of our important files on it.

If i have a UPS that lasts, says, 15 minutes, then I'm sure this would give enough time for the server to shut down in the event of a power loss. However, this is only true if someone was actually there when it happen. So my question is that if there is a way to tell the server to shut itself down because there is no power electricity while the UPS can still supply the backup power to it. This way, it would save the server being shutdown abruptly.

Is this possible? is there anyway we can set this with SBS 2003 or is it to do with the server itself?

Thank you in advance

Re: Power failure

A lot depends on your UPS manufacturer and what they offer to interface power status to your server. Many come with software and as serial / USB port plus some companion management software that can be set to alert and give a delayed shutdown should power not return in n minutes.

Basically, a service on the PC polls the UPS to detect the power status.

There is a UPS tab in Control Panel\Power Options which may give you some of these features.

Read up on your UPS / any one you are considering for these features and the supported OS'
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

And if there is no software, there is a basic UPS/Power interface in the control panel that can shutdown via serial/USB cable.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

If you go to APC selector, they will advise you what you need to safely shut your equipment down.

Comment

IMNSHO they just advise you to buy a UPS 2-3 times the size you need!
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
          X